Need Acomdata Driver - They are out of biz

I have an old acomdata external hard drive. It's been a long time since I looked at it so I'm not sure what's on it. I went to plug it up into our two current pc's and both computers detected them. It then tried installing a driver but failed.

Unfortunately acomdata is no long in business. I've been unable to find of the drivers online. Driver guide.com had some but none worked.

I'm running Windows 7.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks!

This is a USB external drive? All USB drives use the drivers that come with Windows. No extra drivers are needed to use the device as an external disk.

On the other hand, some drives come with "smart features" (Western Digital does that alot). These "extra" features may require a special driver to use them. But the extra driver is only needed to use the "extra" features - not use the basic disk driver features.

So, the driver that's missing may not be your real problem. Connect the disk.
List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Thanks for the response. Yes, there are three listed and they are below. One thing I hadn't thought about until your post...the hard drive only has firewire slots and none of my computers have slots for those. I have a firewire to USB adapter plugged into a USB cord. Would this cause problems?

Microsoft WPD Enhanced Storage Password Driver ROOT\WPD\0001 This device cannot start.
Not Available ROOT\WPD\0000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&2B499B12&0&1 This device is working properly.

One thing I hadn't thought about until your post...the hard drive only has firewire slots and none of my computers have slots for those. I have a firewire to USB adapter plugged into a USB cord. Would this cause problems?
Yea. It could be.

The USB hub reports when a Windows device is added or removed. Windows and the device do a sort of electrical and data handshake on the USB bus. And the device identifies itself by sending those cryptic looking strings.
Code:
USB\VID_0000&PID_0000
Those two all all zero values ("0000") mean Windows can't read the info. (When things work both those values are non-zero)

That adapter could be the reason why the handshake and data exchange are failing.

Right click-> Uninstall the Unknown Device. Unplug the drive. Replug it. If you keep getting that little "Unrecognized USB device" pop-up notification when you re-plug the drive, that's the problem

Try removing and then tightly re-attaching it. You can also try different USB ports

Ok, that didn't change anything.

What are best cheapest/easiest options? Install a firewire card in the desktop, change the hard drive to a new case, or maybe some other something that I haven't thought about?

Appreciate all your help!

Happy to help :)

I would definitely do a new hard drive enclosure. Then you don't need to take up space for a new card... though more important, then you have a portable USB drive you can take from machine to machine

Though I'd also hedge my bets and get an enclosure that's returnable. Just in case it turns out its the drive itself, after all

Nah, no dumb questions. We all start learning by asking questions :)

The size and type of case you need will be dictated by specs of the disk drive inside (drive size and disk interface needed inside the case) It's probably a SATA drive but you need to know before you buy a new case. So, I'd carefully open the old case to remove the old disk and have a look or take it with to your local computer store.

BCurrey, were you ever able to get to your files. I just found my acomdata hard drives that I have not looked at since 2010. Hoping to find a way to get access to them. Hoping that you might have a solution to share.

Thanks!

One last question (might be dumb) - What do I need to keep in mind when buying a case? The current case is pretty big. The one in the link below is very close to mine.

Again, appreciate you taking the time to help me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822216043

Dear BCurrey, I have a same problem with you regarding an old external hard drive ACOM DATA 60 GB perhaps bought 10 years ago. As I could not find an external hard drive 500GB (2.5"), backed-up, of Thoshiba product recently, which might made me very disappointed for losing of much of memories, data & information with me, I find old ACOM Data (used in XP, maybe IDE type disc) on the shelf but my desktop (WIN7) did not realize ACOM Data. So, during searching ACOM old driver, I read your post. Through several trials On-Off and Connect & Disconnect, it is lucky that ACOM Data gets realized in my desktop computer. Immediately I am now all copies of ACOM Data to my PC,
Please visit to http://www.driverguide.com/driver/company/AcomData/index.html and you may find ACOM driver out-of-biz model.
My wish to help you.

Thanks for the response. Yes, there are three listed and they are below. One thing I hadn't thought about until your post...the hard drive only has firewire slots and none of my computers have slots for those. I have a firewire to USB adapter plugged into a USB cord. Would this cause problems?

Microsoft WPD Enhanced Storage Password Driver ROOT\WPD\0001 This device cannot start.
Not Available ROOT\WPD\0000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&2B499B12&0&1 This device is working properly.
Hello, If you could help, I have the same problem. Acomdata external hd and the original driver disk in hand. I went through Control Panel / Problem Devices. Says "
USB Mass Storage Device USB\VID_0C0B&PID_5FAB&MI_00\6&2B55CD27&1&0000 This device cannot start. "
Could you assist further, you mentioned copy/paste.... Running windows 10, have tried with no luck on windows 7 and 8 machines as well. Just once did the icon come up in toolbar as 'configuring"..... but failed to finish configuring to use. Thank you hugely- the hd has a LOT of data that I need to rescue and I live rural so not a lot of assistance available............
\

Back