TechSpot

Need Acomdata Driver - They are out of biz

By BCurrey
Jul 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have an old acomdata external hard drive. It's been a long time since I looked at it so I'm not sure what's on it. I went to plug it up into our two current pc's and both computers detected them. It then tried installing a driver but failed.

Unfortunately acomdata is no long in business. I've been unable to find of the drivers online. Driver guide.com had some but none worked.

I'm running Windows 7.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks!

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,395   +169

This is a USB external drive? All USB drives use the drivers that come with Windows. No extra drivers are needed to use the device as an external disk.

On the other hand, some drives come with "smart features" (Western Digital does that alot). These "extra" features may require a special driver to use them. But the extra driver is only needed to use the "extra" features - not use the basic disk driver features.

So, the driver that's missing may not be your real problem. Connect the disk.
    List any Problem devices
    • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
    • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

3. BCurrey

BCurrey TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the response. Yes, there are three listed and they are below. One thing I hadn't thought about until your post...the hard drive only has firewire slots and none of my computers have slots for those. I have a firewire to USB adapter plugged into a USB cord. Would this cause problems?

Microsoft WPD Enhanced Storage Password Driver ROOT\WPD\0001 This device cannot start.
    Not Available ROOT\WPD\0000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
    Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&2B499B12&0&1 This device is working properly.

4. LookinAround

Yea. It could be.

The USB hub reports when a Windows device is added or removed. Windows and the device do a sort of electrical and data handshake on the USB bus. And the device identifies itself by sending those cryptic looking strings.
    Code:
    USB\VID_0000&PID_0000
    Those two all all zero values ("0000") mean Windows can't read the info. (When things work both those values are non-zero)

That adapter could be the reason why the handshake and data exchange are failing.

Right click-> Uninstall the Unknown Device. Unplug the drive. Replug it. If you keep getting that little "Unrecognized USB device" pop-up notification when you re-plug the drive, that's the problem

Try removing and then tightly re-attaching it. You can also try different USB ports

5. BCurrey

Ok, that didn't change anything.

What are best cheapest/easiest options? Install a firewire card in the desktop, change the hard drive to a new case, or maybe some other something that I haven't thought about?

Appreciate all your help!

6. LookinAround

Happy to help :)

I would definitely do a new hard drive enclosure. Then you don't need to take up space for a new card... though more important, then you have a portable USB drive you can take from machine to machine

Though I'd also hedge my bets and get an enclosure that's returnable. Just in case it turns out its the drive itself, after all

BCurrey likes this.
  7. BCurrey

8. LookinAround

Nah, no dumb questions. We all start learning by asking questions :)

The size and type of case you need will be dictated by specs of the disk drive inside (drive size and disk interface needed inside the case) It's probably a SATA drive but you need to know before you buy a new case. So, I'd carefully open the old case to remove the old disk and have a look or take it with to your local computer store.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.