Need advice on perfect partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

can some1 be so kind in helping me out here, i want to partition my hard drive (43GB) into a number of partitions for the following,

Windows XP pro
Linux (fedora core 3)
Mp3's
Games
Other
Backup

can some1 give me a good idea on how big each should be (mp3 no bigger than 4gb) (games no bigger than 8gb)

and what to set as active and primary etc (im gonna be doing this on partition magic on another computer with the hard drive as a slave. AND most importantly what format, i read something about first 8gb for windows for best performance? windows is my main os.

:wave:

kk i also need to know what formats the o/s's should be installed on AND the cluster sizes (im in samsungs disk manager and its a 60gb my bad can someone please help soon im sitting here waiting lol :(

the reasons i need to know the filesystems is because im installing linux and i kno that it doesnt rekonise some of the filesystems hope you understand wat i mean.

how big shall i have the windows xp partition? as in how much does it need? ill install everything else on other partitions i want to keep windows in its own partition.

If i was u, i would create 3 primary partitions:

1 for windows
1 for linux
1 for backup

I'd also create an extended partition, divided into 3 logical drives

1 logical drive for MP3s
1 logical drive for Games
1 logical drive for Other

im not sure about formats (other than NTFS for windows) or partition sizes

what will be stored on the backup partition, a duplicate of all the other partitions? important files that you want to keep?

1 Do u plan on installing any programs onto the windows partition?
2 Are u going to keep the pagefile in the windows partition

These will both affect the size that the partition needs to be

What if i dont keep the page file, what im aiming to do is keep the computer tisy and running at full speed, (like most of us) ive read somewhere keeping windows in the first 8gb is the best thing to do so ive done that. This is how mine is now,

Windows 10GB (ntfs)
Games 8GB (ntfs)
Internet Sharing/Music 5GB (ntfs)
Downloads 3GB (ntfs)
Swap 5GB (fat32)
Other 10GB (ntfs)
Backup 8GB (ntfs)

Unallocated for linux 11GB (10gb for linux and 1gb for that memory swap thingie maggigy)

Is that oK?

Will linux read that fat 32 drive? and the linux is between other and backup will this be ok for a linux install (like first 1024 cylinders i dont kno how to fin out :S )

looks pretty good, although i dont rly think theres too much of a performance increase with a 40gig hdd

Unless you have a lot of experience with Linux and it's file systems do not try to layout partitions.When you install Redhat it will slice up the space and determine filesystems all by itself.I believe Linux can read fat 32 but take a look in the Linux Forum here at Techspot . Those boys are good.
However I recommend installing a second HDD as slave in you system. Install Linux by itself there after you have installed Windows on your Master.Linux will create LiLo a boot file for choice (I have it my system and it works fine)

As for windows ;
C:\ Active primary ,NTFS ,4-6 Gig Windows system and Core programs Video,Sound only.( Defrag the partition then create a 10Mb Static page file.
D:\partition Ntfs,Programs ,10-12 Gig,Window enviroment Files(Documents&Settings,Temp,Outlook Data,My Documents Temporary Internet files.)
E:\Page file,NTFS,1Gb ( defrag partition ,create static page file,Max 1.5X amount of Ram) you mention a 5Gig swap file ,you do not need that much if you are referring to a Page file.
F:\ Games, Fat 32,
G:\ Multi Media, NTFS (Split the remaining space on this drive between these two partitions)

Just a suggestion.

ok now im a bit confised, ill prob get another hdd for linux then, so what should i do with my other partitions i have partition magic!!

tell me what to do for the best results, i only what windows on C: so can i move documnets and settings to any other partition and what abour program files? thanks alot!!

:p unalllocated space what shall i do with that lol (im new too all this and its a 50GB not a 40GB :p

You could use the space that you were going to use for Linux, for Backup if you like .It really does not matter.
All that is important is that you Keep windows as seperated as possible from all of the other programs you use by loading them to other partitions.
Windows is the most stable in this scenario.
You can re direct the environment variables when you install windows.Read these knowlege base files at Microsoft(Kb302577,291586,314472) to see if you are inclined. It is some work ,but I have found it makes for a very stable Operating system, just don't be intimidated.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'd load XP on Primary Active drive C: at 2GB. Then make the very next partition or programs and games at LEAST 10GB to 25GB. 8gb probably could only hold 1 or 2 of the games I play! I hope you don't have tons of games cause that isn't enough space!

Then create the last partitions for music and backup and misc files. Then between that and Linux, whatever you desire.

Keep in mind that putting your swap file on another partition does NOT increase performance. You'd have to put it on another drive entirely for that. Secondly, there is no great need to split all your programs and data and backup and MP3s on all diff partitions. The main purpose for putting XP itself on another partition is because if it dies, you can reload that partition without messing with your data.

However, should that ever happen, and you wipe out you "XP Partition", all your programs that run off the "Programs Partition" won't work anyway. Because of their system files and registry entries. So you still end up loading XP as well as all your programs, again.
So it makes sense you could put XP as well as programs AND games on ONE partition. And store ALL data files on another.
So you could have:

C: Primary Active XP + programs 20gb
D: MP3s 10gb
E: Backup 10gb

Then split the rest however you want, for Linux etc.. Or make those partitions bigger to fill your space.
In this configuration, should XP go bye bye, you can reload that and all your programs, without trashing your backups and music etc... Because for the most part, should you reload XP, you'll still have to reload your programs, whether on a diff partition or not.

Then configure your other partitions as need arises. And note that with Partition Magic, you can change and resize these after XP is loaded anyway. So if your MP3 partition needs more space, you can arrange them after the fact.

Anyways, maybe that helps a little.
Let us know what you ended up doing.

It really isn't a lot of work Vigilanti.I will admit if you have never done it before there is some reading .However you make some choises in one file on a Xp installation file copied to a partition or burned to a CD and the installation does the rest.
Also keeping programs on a seperate drive reduces defragmentation ,errors affecting system files ,etc. It is simple to keep an image back-up for your Windows installation or system state and when it is used, your other programs that are not affected by the re-install work instantly.

In the case of imaging your system partition, sure, then your programs still work. If all goes as planned.

While there are benefits to any configuration, I still think having a whole mess of partitions is overkill. And fragmentation isn't to terrible of a problem on todays stuff, and with XP. But if you plan to image the XP partition, and still have your programs on their own, then I see the point.

On the other hand, should your hard drives boot sector or partition tables or MFT go bad, having a bunch of partitions scattered around makes it more difficult to repair.

Oh, I meant "a lot of work" sarcastically, I've loaded XP hundreds of times! I've always been a one partition kind of guy myself. Oh well.

Looks good if the hard drive was larger ,but for games should have more space
games should be partioned by itself but the rest on such a small drive (these days) will not help any you will loose some space for every partition you make
make xp about 4 gig keep all files under ntfs
do the same for you linux fig out what needed to run that with the programs that it uses all on 1 partition you can change later with a good partiton manager

Also keep in mind that NTFS performance goes DOWN the smaller your partition size is. Think of it this way:

FAT32 performace is better on small partitions, worse on large partitions.
NTFS performace is better on large partitions, worse on small partitions.

Just FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back