need advice on video card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'm new here and just have a quick question! I would really appreciate any feedback! I'm looking for a new video card. I am mainly wanting to play WoW or Civilization IV, I just got my new comp yesterday and found out that the graphics card sucks and won't play either one because it lacks HW Transform & Lighting...so now I have to find one that does! It needs to be PCI Express, I would like to get something for $100 or under...

Here's what I'm running
Alienware 3550
Intel Pentium D Processor 930 w/Dual Core technology 3.0Ghz 900Mhz FSB
160 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/NCQ & 8MB cache
2 GB dual channel ddr2 sdram at 533 mhz

If you need to know anything else let me know! Also, is it hard to install? The only thing we ever installed before was a dvd burner and some memory..is it any harder than that?

thanks in advance!

Here is a pretty good card for your budget and will play all of you games: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007

Installation is pretty simple. Open case, remove the metal tab covering PCIe slot on the back of the case, insert card, connect power cord, and close the case. You will need to make sure that your power supply will handle the extra demand that the card will require. Pop open you case and see how many watts it is rated at (not the max watts, the average watts) and how many amps are on the 12v line(s).

To be honest, I wouldn't use any of those cards. For the extra $10 or so you get a card that has GDDR3 memory (vs. GDDR2 or regular DDR), a 256 bit memory interface (vs. 128 and 64 bit), more pixel pipelines, faster core and memory clock speeds. Also, some of the GS cards use some of your system memory (can't tell for sure it the one you chose does or not).
No wooory about the HW Transform & Lighting, this card will handle your games no sweat. This also happens to be a fairly popular card around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back