TechSpot

need advice on video card!

By JD23
Aug 18, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all! I'm new here and just have a quick question! I would really appreciate any feedback! I'm looking for a new video card. I am mainly wanting to play WoW or Civilization IV, I just got my new comp yesterday and found out that the graphics card sucks and won't play either one because it lacks HW Transform & Lighting...so now I have to find one that does! It needs to be PCI Express, I would like to get something for $100 or under...

Here's what I'm running
    Alienware 3550
    Intel Pentium D Processor 930 w/Dual Core technology 3.0Ghz 900Mhz FSB
    160 GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/NCQ & 8MB cache
    2 GB dual channel ddr2 sdram at 533 mhz

If you need to know anything else let me know! Also, is it hard to install? The only thing we ever installed before was a dvd burner and some memory..is it any harder than that?

thanks in advance!
  2. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

Here is a pretty good card for your budget and will play all of you games: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007

Installation is pretty simple. Open case, remove the metal tab covering PCIe slot on the back of the case, insert card, connect power cord, and close the case. You will need to make sure that your power supply will handle the extra demand that the card will require. Pop open you case and see how many watts it is rated at (not the max watts, the average watts) and how many amps are on the 12v line(s).
  3. JD23

JD23 TS Rookie Topic Starter

sweet! thanks nickslick! :) Oh yeah.... Alienware 485 watt power supply..
  4. JD23

Oh yeah, how do you tell if the graphics card has HW Transform & Lighting?
  5. JD23

6. nickslick74

nickslick74 TS Rookie Posts: 883

To be honest, I wouldn't use any of those cards. For the extra $10 or so you get a card that has GDDR3 memory (vs. GDDR2 or regular DDR), a 256 bit memory interface (vs. 128 and 64 bit), more pixel pipelines, faster core and memory clock speeds. Also, some of the GS cards use some of your system memory (can't tell for sure it the one you chose does or not).
    No wooory about the HW Transform & Lighting, this card will handle your games no sweat. This also happens to be a fairly popular card around here.
  7. Face of LA

Face of LA TS Rookie Posts: 186

Get the first one! its the best out of them, believe that, it will give u a better performace N Ur games will run faster N Smoother,
  8. JD23

awesome! thanks again nickslick! Sounds like the link you posted is a lot better for the price! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.