Need advice, Overclocked 4800 x2 at 2.72ghz will it go higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFeKTiVe

Just overclocked my amd 4800 x2 2.4ghz to 2.724ghz at 1.4v anyone got any tips in getting higher, or know wat this chip is actually capable of? This is my first overclock. Is there anything in particular i should know about these dual core chips.?

Questions,

Whats the cause when system reboots itself? voltage? - FSB to High?
Whats the cause when sytem it locks up or freezes? memory?

Thanks Guys :)

how are the temps , as allways theres no qurentee what you will do as each board varies from one to the other . allways check the temps , cpu , Nb , ram and mosfets ( kind of odd one them are but they do get warm or hot and a lot of people overlook these lil guys ). apply volts only when nessery and watch them temps constantly ......

im new at all this so bare with me, but i dnt have anything to tell me cpu temp, for some reason on my motherboard disk when i try to install pc probe 2 it says " Fail to install IO driver" i dont understand this. Please help

Motherboard is A8N32-SLI Deluxe running 64-bit windows i've read in other forums that people have got 2.8+ , i cant go any higher than 2.7 , i hae no idea wat to do with memory, ive read how to tweak ur memory by "Impaqt" but i dont understand it. is the memory number best at low or high?, and when i use a64 tweaker, how does that tell me which is the best performance, what does the * mean next to numbers. as soon as i change the number on the 4 primary, it locks up.

Which version of the probe are you using? Do you know if it supports x64 windows? You can get the latest version here - http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=361&Itemid=1
I'm not an expert in OC'ing, but isn't 1.4V a little too low? My Athlon 64 3000+ Venice uses 1.6V i think (it's not overclocked).

System reboots and crashes could be caused by the memory not being able to perform at the setting you set it to. Since, by default, the ram runs at the same clock as the FSB (1:1 FSB to Memory clock ratio), you are OC'ing your ram at the same time you OC your CPU (assuming you are raising the FSB speed). You could try to change the ratio so that the RAM runs slower than the FSB but I read somewhere before that AMD chips run best when its FSB clock matches the memory clock (if anyone disagrees, please post :D). Try to find the operating temperature of your current speeds. Also run some memory testing program to see if it is in fact your memory that's causing the problem.

Also, try getting an aftermarket CPU fan + heatsink if you don't already have it. I don't think the stock AMD heatsink+fan are that good.

thanks for the reply, but i have a problem, i cant install probe (64 bit version), "cant execute driver service" then "cant load Asmihwlo.dll, its annoying me, , ohh and i have no idea how to up my ram, that obviously is the problem why i cant go any higher, my fsb was 200 stock, i upt it to 227, my voltage was 1.3v standard, i upt it to 1.425v, there the only changes ive made to get me 2.72, i dnt understand the whole ram side as yet.

Try running MemTest86 a couple of times and see if you get any errors. If you do, it means you have raised your FSB past the speed your RAM can handle. I doubt it is your CPU that's causing the problem since it's a really good one. So yea, run the test and tell us what happens.

Also, While running the test, open your computer case and put a finger on your CPU heatsink and feel how hot it is. (since you can't detect the temperature, you'll have to settle with the ghetto way of doing it for now) If it feels hot, then it's not good. Replace the fan+heatsink. If it is warm, then it's probably fine, but i would recommend getting a good fan+heatsink for it anyway since you're OC'ing. Careful not to hurt yourself :D

Oh by the way, i made a mistake on my previous reply.
My Athlon 64 3000+ Venice uses 1.6V i think (it's not overclocked).
It is my memory that's using 1.6V. My CPU is getting 1.3V.

2day's not my day, i downloaded memtest86 its says doesnt support 64, then i found out u need a floppy drive, i dont have one. any other ways of testing mem, and anyone know why pc probe isnt installing? i need to know my cpu temp.

ohh and my cpu temp is ok, i have a huge fan blowing in the case, i upt the ram frequence to the same as the fsb. Im going to get water cooling sytem in a couple days..

sweet water cooling.

If MemTest86 doesn't work, then try SiSoft Sandra and run the memory benchmark under Burn-In Wizard (i think that's what its called). It will stress test your memory (and CPU i think) and give u a report on it. Sandra definitely supports 64bit.

I recommend you stay away from 64bit windows for now due to SO many compatibility issues. Simply said, NOTHING supports it (except for some big companies).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back