TechSpot

need an answer

By blue_dragon
Nov 20, 2005
  1. isa 20+4 pin psu compatible with a mobo thats 24-pin?

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

The easy answer is, probably.

I just did a quick google, and some PSUs that say 20+4 come with BOTH a 20 pin connector as well as a 24pin. Then I found another one that said it as 20+4 but it was a little different. It came with a 24pin that included a 20 pin adapter. Then there was a third type that also claimed to be 20+4 type. It was a 24 pin connector with a removable 4pin!

Anyways it SOUNDS like you should be fine either way, but if you want to be sure, give us your motherboard make/model as well as a link to the PSU you are talking about.

3. blue_dragon

blue_dragon TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 190

its pretty good...do u also know where i can find the thread thats a guide to good psu vs bad psu's?
    antec psu
    heres the mobo its currently out of stock but ill get it from some other retailer

4. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 435

worked for me

I had an ECS 915P-A, and the 20 pin cord on my PSU worked fine. The only thing I noticed was a ! on BIOS POST that said only a 20 pin connector was being used, but everything worked well. My current PSU has a 20 pin, and my ASUS P5P800 mobo is 24 pin; I just got a 20/24 pin adapter from Newegg at about $3, and all is well. :grinthumb

5. blue_dragon

uea..buy my psu's pins are 20+4 not 20

6. hewybo

hewybo TS Maniac Posts: 435

20/24

Just looked at the pic in the link from your first post, and it looks like that +4 piece is removable from the main cable, if need be. The mobo you shoiwed is 24 pin, so that Antec oughta be fine with it. A lot of the newer mobos are 24 pin, many of the older, and many of the newer, as well, are 20 pin. I think PSU mfr's are just making themselves compatible with either. ( I have an Antec SmartBlue 350W in another system that works great, very stable. Others will tell you that Antec is middle-of-the-road in reliability--I think they're great.) :monkey:

7. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

8. blue_dragon

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.