Need Clarification on Win2k Modem Tweak Guide

By Cryo
May 27, 2002
Post New Reply
  1. I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop which has a software modem that I've been having some trouble with. I ran through the tweak guide but was unsure as to what exactly qualifies as a "Winmodem" my modem is almost definitly software driven (if the CPU goes above ~75% for more than 3 seconds it drops the modem connection) but I don't know if it qualifies as a winmodem and for the purposes of tring to tweak it i need to know. Thanks
    -Cryo
  2. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

An easy enough way to test if its a winmodem is with the mouse, move it up & down when you launch, say IE (assuming its set to auto-connect). You'll get a pause in movement when the modem initialises & disconnects too.
    What's the modem called in Device manager?
  3. Cryo

Cryo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 52

The modem is listed as an "Actointec MD56ORD V92 MDC Modem". I don't really plan on using the modem that much only in the interm before I start grad school but it's really annoying the amount of times this thing will randomly drop the connection. When I bought the laptop the modem model wasn't listed or I would have checked this out ahead of time. Anyhow let me know if you have any suggestions on how to keep a somewhat stable connection. I've tried a couple of different settings but nothing seems to help the situation.
  4. uncleel

uncleel Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,145

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.