Need CPU fan+heatsink for Core i7-920

myrmidonks

Budget: under 50 USD, possibly 75 if it really makes a difference.

I need a fan+heatsink combo for an i7-920. My case is not very big, so I will need something that is no taller than 6 inches (~15-16cm). Any help would be appreciated!

V8 V8 V8

look up the v8 heat sink i hope its not too big for it but its a great one i have it on my i7-920...tho its probably too big lol but i just want to show love for mine

great for overclocking a bit for a great price...have mine i beleive at 3.0 just cause i dont need anymore that

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055&cm_re=v8-_-35-103-055-_-Product...59$

I might have to go inside my case again and take a more detailed measurement... Thanks for the quick reply! It looks good, but does it come with a fan? I'm not sure if I can use just the heatsink without the fan... How easy would it be to buy the fan separately and attach it? That CM V8 might be a little expensive for me, so I want to take other suggestions first...

OK so I opened up my case and measured the amount of space I have from the motherboard to the top of the case, and it comes out to be 6.25 inches, or 15.87cm.

On Newegg, it says the coolermaster v8 that you recommended it 158mm. So, if that is an acurate measurement, and includes everything on the cooler, than it would be an option. It will be a very tight fit though. The Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2 will fit just fine.

Also, I was wondering if I can use the original backplate from the stock cpu cooler, or will I have to remove my motherboard to install the backplate that comes with the cooler?

Eh...I'm not sure cause when I built mine I went straight to the v8.

I'd just take the time and install it with the one that comes with it to be safe. Good question...Bad answer on my part =)

You will have to remove the motherboard to install the backplate because a stock motherboard will not likely have one at all. The stock HSF is typically retained directly to the PCB through stock holes. Take a look at the back of some motherboards at Newegg for confirmation.

My motherboard has 4 holes for the 4 screws that are holding the current heatsink in place... I am not sure if it is standard LGA 1366 spacing (if there is such a thing), but I would prefer not to have to remove the motherboard :( The other question is do all the heatsinks use the same size screws or are they different from product to product?

Those aren't screws. They are like push pins that pop into place when you push them in. Stock heatsinks are designed to attach to stock PCB holes using the stock PCB thickness. If there is a backing plate, it will likely prevent the stock pins from seating.

So all heatsinks that do not require a proprietary backing plate should have the same size pins. Those that require a backing plate, might use screws and will supply an appropriate backing plate.

I will second the V8 suggestion. It can be had for $50.00 (in the US anyway) I use it in many builds and it still keeps up with the top coolers they are pushing out to date. I have one in my current gaming rig, a heavily overclocked and it tops out at 52C during a session of OCCT CPU test. To be fair , mine is a little modded https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p4024-holodeck.html, but it accounts for only a few degrees. It is currently $59.00 on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ter_v8_cpu_cooling_fan-_-35-103-055-_-Product, but it goes down to 49.99 every other week. If you have a MicroCenter near you, they have it for $49.99 as well.

@mailpup

I have again delved into my case and found that I the screws in question are in fact screws (philips heads). I am assuming they are able to be unscrewed, and in that case I could just easily screw something back into their place, as long as it was the same size.

@red1776

nice computer... do you think that it would be worth it to get a lets say v8 if my max temps (that I have seen so far during my gaming sessions) are between 74-76 degrees (celsius)? I know that having a cooler CPU makes them last longer (?), so If I can get my temps down to say 50 degrees, would that make a difference?

Hi myrmi,
If those are accurate temps, (74-76C) for your CPU is way to high the max thermal on the 920 is
68c, personally, I don't like to get anywhere near the limit, but I digress. Yes it would raise your overclocking ability (if your into that) and it does extend the life of the cpu. The temps you are running at are also heating up the ambient temp of your case and surrounding components. To put it in perspective, the CPU temps you are running are average GPU temps while gaming....not good. So yes , i think it is a solid $50 investment on par with getting a quality PSU. I would try another temp monitor, and check the bios reading if you haven't, to verify the temps. If you are running those temps at stock frequency, I would replace the stock thermal compound with some quality Arctic silver or the like. I assume you have rather high ambient temps?
hope that helped a little :)

Red,

I am using CoreTemp to monitor temps. When I have a chance I'll go into the Bios and check temps, but from what i've heard, core temp is usually pretty accurate... Also, if I were to replace the thermal compound, do you know a good place to find some good instructions on how to do so? I'm not sure about the exact details of how to remove the old compound/apply the new one... I'm planning to get the new cooler for Christmas, maybe I might get a good discount. I'm probably going to go with the v8 unless there is good reason to go for something else, or it doesn't fit into my case... which would be bad. Newegg says the dimensions are 120x120x158mm... I'm assuming the 158 is vertical (?). When i measured my case earlier, It came out to 6.25 inches or 158.7 mm so this might be a problem.

As for ambient temps, I have never seen them go below 45 celsius just sitting on desktop... clearly bad.

I have again delved into my case and found that I the screws in question are in fact screws (philips heads). I am assuming they are able to be unscrewed, and in that case I could just easily screw something back into their place, as long as it was the same size.
Yes, you should be able to. The only thing I would be careful about is making sure that if you unscrew all four screws, the backplate doesn't fall down. So you might want to loosely replace a couple of screws to hold the backplate as you go along to make sure that doesn't happen.

v8 Rules :approve:, i have a i7 930 at 4GHz and never turn the fan to a 100%, even on full load.

Back