Need Fax Program - Vista x64 For VOIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie23

I've read faxing over VOIP can be tricky, at best.

I assume Windows Fax is not in Vista x64 home prem version.

So looking for simple one that will run under 64 bit, even in emulation mode.

Also, a decent fax modem that'll work in Vista (new system didn't have one). DOUBT my old Creative one will work, but haven't tried, cause no fax prgm.

In XP, the Windows Fax was fine for me using POTS. Now I only have DSL / VOIP.

If anyone faxes over VOIP & wants to share some tips, I'd appreciate it. My provider (Future-Nine) has some suggestions for telephone adapter settings - that's about it.

Thanks.

xp windows fax will work in voip - I've done it. I don't see why a vista version wouldn't. You can also try free online fax sites.
just use a disposable email address for spam.

OK, thanks, but that was one question. Vista home prem doesn't have the native fax program.

So, have to find one that'll work in Vista x64. Got one lead that USR has a free "Phone Tools" including faxing that works in 64 bit - haven't tried it.

HOWEVER, since send / rec faxes very seldom, haven't figured out the way to leave fax modem connected, and VOIP voice still work. Rather than unplugging / replugging to send / receive faxes, then back to VOIP voice.

Not sure if connecting the ATA line 1 to the modem IN port & a phone in modem's "Phone" port will allow VOIP calls & faxing work w/o switching connections every time.

I use a phone splitter on ATA line 1 port. One goes to a phone, other back to a wall jack that's tied to all other extensions in house, so VOIP is distributed.

voip box to modem.

modem to phone via outgoing line jack

should work just fine.

OR use an RJ-11 splitter.
about $2 at radioshack.

Thanks.

Found a US Robotics modem that claims to be Vista x64 compatible - haven't tested.

USR also has a free utility "BVRP Phone Tools" including fax software - says it's Vista x64 compatible. Others have said it works but haven't tried it yet, either.

glad to hear. check the website of the manufactuer before buying. You might see if they have drivers there too.

Tedster, USR does have drivers for this modem (USR 5670 PCI fax modem) for Vista.
Vista recognized the modem & automatically installed MS drivers (gave no choice).

Haven't updated w/ USR's drivers from their site, but doubt? it has to do w/ the problem now having.

The modem dials out OK. It's on line 2 of the PAP2-T. The Phone Tools fax prgm works (guess USR licensed it from Avanquest), but is cumbersome (wouldn't recommend it as a 1st choice - least not v9.03 for Vista x64).

But, after many tries, eventually after what sounds like hand shaking, message in fax GUI comes back w/ "Remote modem is not compatible," for every fax # I try.

At this point, I don't think this post should be continued in Software / Utilities forum.
I'll post new issue of modem not being able to connect to others in Hardware.

that's ok - leave the question here- if the mods want to move it they will. It could very well be software related. You might want to try another software. If you're getting the same results, then something else is wrong - configuration maybe. faxes have been out for a long time as well as telephony modems...... pretty ancient stuff now- most of the kinks have long been worked out.

Heck, I remembering BBSing on 300 bps modems back in the day!

you're gonna need 64bit drivers for the hardware as well as a 64bit software program. 32 bit programs won't do it. Vista ultimate has windows fax, but premium does not.

look here: http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp?loc=unst

Thanks.

You mention trying another fax prgm. Love to - know of any that'll run under Vista x64 or in emulation mode? It may be Phone Tools is buggy in Vista.

I did get the Phone Tools to connect finally, but still has error messages - mainly "hangup after page transmission." It's either hanging up after 1st page or before a 2nd pg begins. 1st pg may / may not go thru completely?

USR hasn't responded about the error - yet. Found that Phone tools developer (Avanquest) actually has a forum. Saw similar questions posted there, but none about Vista. Registered & activated, but can't login - oh well.

As you mentioned, Vista has drivers it automatically installs for this USR 5670 PCI Fax modem. Doesn't mean they will work!

It's not just a driver issue. It's also a software issue. Offhand I don't know -google it - this apparently is a well known issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back