Need help and advice in regard to updating my PSU on my old tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corseth

Hello everyone, First off i'll start with my system specs.

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 2 (max 2) per processor
Name Intel Pentium 4 531
Code Name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping F.4.1
Extended Family/Model F.4
Core Stepping E0
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 3006.8 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 15.0 x 200.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 801.8 MHz
Stock frequency 3000 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache (per processor) 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache (per processor) 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
Northbridge VIA P4M800CE rev. 00
Southbridge VIA VT8237 rev. 00
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Revision 3.0
AGP Transfer Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Memory Frequency 267.3 MHz (3:4)
DRAM Interleave 4-way
CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
System
System Manufacturer
System Name snc302eeh
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor Biostar
Mainboard Model P4M800Pro-M7
BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS Version 6.00 PG
BIOS Date 08/04/2006
Memory SPD
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Transcend Information
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 2048 MBytes, Centon
Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c

- Sorry for the spam, anywho..

I'm buying this video card, [URL="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2991791&sku=P450-7928"[/URL]

And It requires a minimum of a 350W power supply, and I believe my current is only 250/300W ..

My main question is. Will that video card and this power supply
[URL="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1899442&body=MAIN"[/URL]

Fit and work with my motherboard and my case and all that..

The current PSU I have now is AL-C300 ATX From Allied Technologies

Thanks for the help =)

I'm not familiar with that brand power supply but the amps look good on the 2 +12V lines. It should run that system just fine. Just remember that the power supply is the only component on your system that has the capacity of destroying ever other component. I always am willing to spend a few bucks more for an Antec, Thermaltake, or other well known brand. My last one was a CoolerMaster. They have some good rebate deals right now. This 750W one for $80US after rebate is a good deal. The other thing you need to look at is output. The Aspire is listing the maximum output at 600W. That's not a continuous rate. The Cooler Master on the other hand is advertising theirs as a 750W unit. When you check the specs you see it is rated at 750W continuous and 900W max output. So on that type of rating you may be actually only getting 450 to 500W continuous on the Aspire. Sorry for going on and on, but power supplies are one of the most important components, and it's difficult sometimes to know what to look for.

They should both be ok for your system, I think that PSU would run that card fine.

The CoolerMaster one that luvhuffer linked to looks good as well.

From what I remember, the 7900 GPU's require at least 400W and somewhere around 20A (but I might be wrong about that ;)) so the Aspire one would be fine but it doesn't hurt having a PSU that is "too good" - there's no such thing. The PSU will only give the components what they need, and that 750W PSU having a max of 900W is pretty good, although you don't want to run a PSU at full load all the time because that will shorten its life span and you'll end up with your PC as your new door stop.

Again, as luvhuffer said, a PSU can destroy your PC if you don't get one that's good enough, so out of the two I'd go for the Coolermaster, as it has the extra oomph there in case you need it :D

Well crap, I was scared that it wouldnt fit my box so i ordered Thermaltake / PurePower / 430-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm LED Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / PCI-E Ready / Power Supply .... Dang Do I really need a 750W? I already ordered and such..

You don't need the 750W, it's just to give you that bit extra headroom.

Most new PSU's follow the same standard so whatever you get is almost definitely going to fit.

You will be ok with that PSU as long as the amperages on the 12V rails are ok, I would check but unfortunately don't have time right now. :eek:

Nah 750W is not required. But the card will require a better PSU than the Thermaltake one you've ordered. I'd recommend the Corsair 450VX as the best choice, but if your budget is stretched thin, the CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 550W will do nicely. Both can be found on Newegg.

Mmm... I guess I could just return that and buy one of the other ones? .. Money isnt a problem I just wanted to make sure the PSU's you guys mentioned would both fit in my tower AND fit my 20 pin mobo, if thats what It is XD

The v2.0 power supplies have a 20+4 pin setup usable on both 20 pin and 24 pin mobos. The v2.2 PSU's have a 24 pin power connector that is also backward compatable with a 20 pin mobo. Both also have the 4 pin CPU power plug. I find it good practice to buy just a bit more than you actually need. With the ever changing needs and configurations today, it's just one more thing you won't need to replace after your next upgrade.

google PSU calculator. Add 30% to the results. Then go out and buy a quality PSU that meets that calculated wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back