TechSpot

Need help building a computer

1. So i have been in the market for a computer for a few months now and haven't found anything to my satisfaction yet. I have wanted to build a computer for roughly 4 yrs now, but frankly it kinda scares me. i would love to build one but i deff need help. but before i get to telling you guys what I am looking for in a computer ill tell you a little about what i know about computers.

I am self taught, i mainly work on trouble shooting computers. virus removal and the like. I have some knowledge about computer parts and specs. but just the bare minimum to be able to shop around and get a decent deal on a computer.

So. know that you know a little bit about what i know. heres kinda what i want. (i am willing to take suggestions though)

CPU intel core i5 2500k
    1tb hdd
    8gbs ram
    GPU. i am looking for a decent GPU something around the performance of the Radeon HD 6770. but if there are better for cheaper let me know.
    Price. well i was looking for some were in the 500$ range. but would go up to 600ish.

Yeah i know not much to go off of. and a small budget. but to help even more here is kinda what i plan to use it for. I use programs such as adobe dreamweaver, flash, after effects. and programs like those. i play games here and there. mainly minecraft, command and conquer red alert 3, and games like those.

So that's basically all i can think of to add to this post. if you have any questions plz ask i will be happy to answer. and thx for the help in advanced.
  2. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

That looks like a decent build for your requirements.

Don't forget the Z68 motherboard and a quality branded 400-500W PSU.
  3. Cerf

Cerf TS Rookie Posts: 31

Do not forget to add an SSD drive for the Windows. It doesn't havet to be large, 60-80GB will suffice for the OS and some programs and even games too. The speed difference is more noticeable than spending the same amount of cash for a faster processor.
    Well obviously you need a second drive for the data, add a 500+ GB drive for the movies, mp3 and other stuff.
    Everything else looks to be good, Core i5 2500K will run even at stock speeds super-fast.
  4. equatom

equatom TS Rookie

building a computer may seem like a daunting task at first, it sure was for me.
    my advice is to try get your hands on an old computer (preferably working), and just have a tinker around inside. see if you can take all the parts out, then re-assemble them.

That CPU is pretty much perfect for any gaming and most medium intensity video editing/encoding/etc. if you did want a CPU capable of high-end vid. editing and such, you may want to look at the i7-2600 instead.
    please note the main differences between these cores is hyperthreading, the i5-2500 and the i7-2600 will both play most games amazingly well, at around the same settings- but the i7 will show considerably better performance in the video editing factor.

1tb HDD should suit you just fine, that's plenty of storage space.
    I would recommend you look at the Western Digital caviar Black, or caviar Blue.
    the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is an amazing drive as well.

8 gigs of RAM is plenty, but make sure your motherboard and CPU support it).
    also try go with a reliable brand like Corsair, Kingston, or OCZ.

regarding the GPU, you can get an amazingly fast card for 500-600 dollars.
    there's a lot of options though, but i would probably recommend the Gigabyte GTX 580 Fermi
    wvw.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125399[/url]
    this card is an absolute beast, its been reviewed well, and Gigabyte are a reputable and reliable brand.

an SSD is very useful, since the boot and file access speeds will be much faster- though they are expensive.

altogether a nice build. well done on choosing the parts.

be confident with the computer build! just do your homework and you'll be fine :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.