Need help buying new RAM

Which memory modules do you need, is it DDR, DDR2, or DDR3 memory modules?
Is it a notebook you are buying memory for or desktop (the difference would be SO-DIMM and DIMM)?

If you are uncertain, tell us which computer you have or which motherboard you are using.

OK, so this is an 13-530. The highest speed RAM you can buy, (if you ever intend to use the integrated graphics), is DDR3-1333Mhz.

If not, then DDR 1600Mhz will (should) work with a separate video card.

We need to know what operating system is in the computer, and how many bit access, (32 or 64 bit). It would also help to know which motherboard is in the machine.

Maddy appears to be from India. Note the website prices are in rupees.

I3(1st gen) 2.93ghz-intel 55pj main board-2gb ddr3 ram-Running windows 7,32 bit.
I'm from visakhapatnam, India.

Intel® Desktop Board DH55PJ

Tested system memory

I would look for a 2x4GB (at least 2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR3-1333 Kit.
Cliff Buddy, why would you put 8 gigs of RAM into a 32 bit OS?

I3(1st gen) 2.93ghz-intel 55pj main board-2gb ddr3 ram-Running windows 7,32 bit.
I'm from visakhapatnam, India.
OK, I found these these two GSkill sets:

If you ever want to be able to use the CPU's onboard video: http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-rip...DNBE&ref=ab798a63-4af0-4f1e-8f8f-dfffecd1e731

If that is not a concern to you, this set is faster: http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-rip...YUVB&ref=ab798a63-4af0-4f1e-8f8f-dfffecd1e731

Unfortunately, neither set is in stock at the moment. You can leave an Email address for the supplier to contact you when, (or if), they come in.

Personally, I've had success with the GSkill brand, and they're very popular with customers from our biggest suppliers, "Newegg.com".
Here are the same two kits there: so you can read the reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231425

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427

As to your other question, "why is one RAM more expensive than another of the same speed", the answer is this. The higher priced RAM is specially selected for tighter specs.

"High performance RAM", should ostensibly allow you to "overclock" it.

I doubt your stock Intel board would allow you to do that anyway, and you personal and pocketbook issues are better served by simply buying decent, standard, modules, from a reputable supplier.

As to Intel's, "tested RAM", for your board, they only test certain brands, yet many others will work successfully.

In your case, you likely need to use "generic RAM", (RAM with the specs exactly in line with the standard for voltage, speed , and latency), since the board likely won't allow you to adjust for any of those characteristics. The GSkill modules I posted, meet those specs.

There are obviously other good brands, Kingston and Corsair to name just two. But as I said, stay away from "high performance", or "gaming RAM" modules, that have working voltages above the standard of 1.5, just to be safe with respect to compatibility.

Cliff Buddy, why would you put 8 gigs of RAM into a 32 bit OS?
Reservation for the future. Once they have 8GB and realize they can't use it all, they will opt to re-installing Windows. They can re-activating with the very same key used to activate the 32-bit install. Perhaps they already have the 64-bit install disk, if not one can be downloaded from a well known location.

Sorry for prolonging this discussion but here are some doubts I have,
1.In the performance info and tools of system it says 64bit capable:Yes...so can I have 64bit os with 2gb(presently) of ram?
2.Are you guys suggesting that I take off my 2gb card and put a single 4gb one?can't I have 6gb of ram?(with ofcourse 64bit os)
3.I think I have a transcend or some ram card now..so 2gb+this g.skill one is compatible?
4.why 2x2 and not 1x4?
(though not available in flipkart I can buy from outside too guys)

Sorry for prolonging this discussion but here are some doubts I have,
1.In the performance info and tools of system it says 64bit capable:Yes...so can I have 64bit os with 2gb(presently) of ram?
You can BUT, 2GB is considered minimum for Win 7 64 bit. It's 1GB minimum for 32 bit.
2.Are you guys suggesting that I take off my 2gb card and put a single 4gb one?

No, not at all
can't I have 6gb of ram?(with ofcourse 64bit os)
Intel is always dual channel RAM, even in boards with only two DIMM sockets. To insure dual channel operation, both channels must be populated with a equal amount of RAM. That requires a minimum of two modules. You could however, have two 1GB modules in one channel, and one 2GB module in the second channel and still have the board run in dual channel
3.I think I have a transcend or some ram card now..so 2gb+this g.skill one is compatible?
Maybe, maybe not. If the sticks are "generic" spec, possibly. If they are different, (different voltages or latencies), then no, it won't work.

It's usually best to bite the bullet, and buy a fully matched set of RAM. Mix and match isn't ideal. Speaking only to the US market, RAM is dirt cheap at the moment, and it wouldn't set you back that much to optimize with a true dual channel kit.
4.why 2x2 and not 1x4?
Answered.

(though not available in flipkart I can buy from outside too guys)
A woman's prerogative, to be sure.

I'm not sure about your level of expertise on the OS / software side of this issue.

But theoretically, only a retail version of Windows gives you the option of either a 32 0r 64 bit install, and both discs are provided. An "OEM" copy of Win 7, must be purchased as either 32 or 64 bit, and only that disc is provided.

As far as "hybrid solutions" go, I have no personal experience to say whether you could get way with it, or not. Keep in mind all the system driver and chipset ID software have to be brought up to 64 bit versions also.

Windows 7 32 bit will be able to utilize about 3.7 GB of RAM. Your CPU probably up to about 32GB.

I'd consider it a personal favor if you'd dispense with the bold text. At least for the majority of the post. When you try to type in a field near it, your own text becomes bold also, and requires correcting. It does nothing for understandability, and I don't feel I need it to get my point across. You will either understand what I've said, or you won't, regardless of the type face used, and vice-versa.

Back