Need help connecting my new pc to net/lan

By korrupt
Sep 9, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone, I just finished setting up my new pc but now for some reason i cant seem to connect to the lkocal area network...

How do i do this? With my old pc, basically i just had to plug the cable in and it would work...

Regards,

korrupt
  2. korrupt

korrupt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,060

Ok, so I chucked in a NIC and now I can connect to LAN but still cant connect to the internet... As stated, with my old system, it would autoatically get set up during the installation of XP... How do I make it connect automatically but do it manually ....

Regards,

Korrupt
  3. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

Plug in the cable, if you have a router/switch that uses static IP address or filtering etc, let it through..

Checklist:
    -Go to Device manager, and see if its installed ok
    -got the chipset/lan drivers installed?
    -are the lan lights flashing etc?
    -Network Connections>Local Area Connection ->Check its been enabled
    - "--/--">(right click)> Properties>Internet Protocol TCP/IP [Properties] >obtain IP address automaticaly or static depending on what you use.

If the LAN connection (hardware side) OK then just run windows network wizard [start>all programs>accesories>communication>Home Network Wizard] and you should be flying..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.