TechSpot

Need help fixing my local area network

By cheesymike
Jul 11, 2009
  1. I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to another. Before moving the computer I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer. My connection is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below.

- - - - -

There are four immediately next to each other on the left, and one set apart slightly farther to the right.

When I have my three cables (one for the modem, one for my xbox, and one for my computer) in the slots on the left, I can connect to the internet through my computer (as they are right now) but not through my Xbox. If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right, I can connect to Xbox LIve, but I can't connect to the internet through my computer.

If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable? While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.