BIOS update

CPU:AMD FX-8320
Motherboard:ASUS M5A97 R2.0

I hardly know anything about the BIOS so I am asking you this:
Will I need to update my BIOS and if so how to do that?
Am I going to update it to the latest version(2103) or the version when the processor was first compatible(1006)?

Please help, I do not want to make a mistake when updating so please provide a detailed explanation ! ! !

Some might say updating the BIOS is not worth the risk unless you have a reason to chance it. On the other hand I've never had a BIOS update go badly. BIOS updates are not that difficult to do. But there is always a risk of the update failing. In the off chance of failure, the motherboard will be bricked. There are motherboards that come with a second BIOS for failsafe. I don't know if the failsafe can be used under a bricked board, I will assume it can until I hear otherwise.

There are three ways to update that I am aware of. All of which may not be available depending on motherboard model and age of system.
  • Within the Operating System (I've used this method but for awhile it was advised against)
    • You will need to download BIOS Update application. The application will download and install the new BIOS.
  • Within the BIOS
    • Within the BIOS there is an update facility. You will only need the new BIOS. (My BIOS will only update from a USB stick.)
  • From DOS utility
    • Not only will you need to download the new BIOS, you will need to download the flash utility that is designed for the update.
I recommend updating from within the BIOS (assuming you have this option). Download the new BIOS to a USB stick and then boot into the BIOS. Browse around to find the update facility and the rest is self explanatory.

Looking here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/

Your motherboard has a bios update feature built in called USB bios flashback.

Quote:

"USB BIOS Flashback offers the most convenient way to flash the BIOS ever! It allows overclockers to try new UEFI BIOS versions easily, without even entering their existing BIOS or operating system. It even works without key components such as the CPU and memory installed. Just plug in any USB storage and push the dedicated button for 3 seconds. The UEFI BIOS is automatically flashed using ATX standby power. Worry-free updating for the ultimate convenience!"

More strange however is the complete lack of any bios updates or drivers for your motherboard on the official asus site.

I would do more research first, and if you have no issues with your pc I would not update it at all.

Bad bios flash = dead mobo.

If it works dont update the BIOS if you do and the update fails your PC WILL BE WRECKED FOREVER trust me I have been messing around with computers since I was two years old and I dont mean windows settings I mean BIOS,LINUX running android on my pc not the x86 port actually editing partitions and copying android off my phone and it ran great.

Hate to say it but unless your very stupid it's very difficult to brick a MODERN motherboard, old hardware maybe but in the modern world they are very safe.

Don't go around calling people stu*** or I'll report you and actually I was talking about going into the Bios and doing an update from there that you downloaded before and guess what! I havent ever destroyed a mobo because I stick by the one rule of BIOS'es if it work's don't try to update it.(n):eek::D:confused:;)

Don't go around calling people stu*** or I'll report you and actually I was talking about going into the Bios and doing an update from there that you downloaded before and guess what! I havent ever destroyed a mobo because I stick by the one rule of BIOS'es if it work's don't try to update it.(n):eek::D:confused:;)
Sorry, I should have phrased my post differently, I don't mean "you" as in alio matt, I am talking to the OP and I didn't want the OP to be scared of doing it as when people are nervous they make mistakes.

The latest BIOS for your board (2301, on 3-27-2014) is supposed to improve system stability, so it should be installed. Read your motherboard manual (section 2.2.1 on page 2-12) for detailed explanation of how to do this. USB BIOS Flashback is the safe, easy method that Asus developed for their newer boards, so I would use that. Don't forget to rename the BIOS file so the board will recognize it. Bios updates on recent boards are often necessary for new CPU support, and for working the bugs out of new hardware. I've updated the BIOS on my AsusP8Z77-V many times without any problem.

In general - if it ain't broke - don't "fix it". A Bios change can seriously brick your system if you don't know what you're doing. Read my Bios beep guides ......

Your's computer BIOS(Basic input/output system) is the first software your PC loads.Most newer PCs have a fairly easy BIOS update procedure.Just download the .exe file from your PC manufacturer's Website, quit all open programs, run the .exe, and let it handle the patch; then reboot.If your PC suddenly shuts down in the middle of the BIOS update, you won't be able to boot up, so make sure you're not running off a laptop battery.

Back