Need help installing Windows XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i am trying to reinstall windows Xp home edition onto my brothers computer but it keeps saying the Cd key is invalid?.

I am using the CD key that is on the legit sticker on the side of his tower ( iv double and re-doubled) that iv typed it correctly with no use.

I dont know if this matter but im using my Dad's Home edition CD with my brothers code.

Reading some of the posts could it be that my dads CD is a original release CD ( from years ago) and the CD key is recent?

if so is there a fix ?

Try using an older version of Windows XP maybe with the same service pack, as there would be no way for the CD to have a newer licence key than from its creation date. Alternately, you can just google up some serials that'll give you a 30 day grace period in which then you could activate it with the sticker by connecting to the internet. If that doesn't work try calling up Microsoft and tell them that you're doing a fresh install.

It could be that your CD is a standard edition and the key you have is for an OEM version. The keys for the OEM and non-OEM versions are usually different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back