Need help opening Sony Vaio case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a used Sony Vaio Pentium 4 to use as my gaming computer until I finish building my AMD rig. However, I can't get the top of the case open. I need to replace the PSU, but the Vaio uses a proprietary design, and I don't have money for a new PSU, so I need to crack open the top of the case to get to the wires to the disk drives, and to lay the PSU on it, but I can't figure it out.

My model is a PCV-RX790G.

Also, will an aftermarket 530-watt PSU be a problem with the Vaio hardware? So far all the wires look the same, so I'm thinking it's only the PSU size that's proprietary. Need help asap.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

I am assuming your PSU is bad. I don't think an aftermarket PSU will be a problem, if you can find one.

no, it's not bad, it's just 200-watt, and I need at least 350 to run my card.

Just curious if an aftermarket non-Sony one will fry it.

So I'm taking the leap right now (took a break cause I was getting frustrated - naturally the mobo wires are in the least accessible part of the case - plus I have huge hands).

However, my Sony PSU I'm removing has an extra connector that my aftermarket PSU doesn't have - it's a tiny brown connector that hooks up to the mobo and has blue/white wires (two of each). Don't know what it's for, but I'm hoping it's not important.

Any ideas on those blue/white wires!?

that's the fan speed control for the psu fan. The aftermarket one has a normal fan that runs at a constent speed so these wires are not necessary.
If you would ever want to add anouther fan to your system or eventually replace the psu with one that has speed controled fans (such as antec smart power)you will use that connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back