TechSpot

Need help setting up xp2600 pc, problem with bios

By nottoobright
Aug 25, 2005
  1. HI. I have a

ASUS a7n8x w/amd xp 2400 TB
    768m ddr 400 ( 1x512 Kingston & 1x256 ???brand)

I am having problems finding the correct settings for the cpu frequency, fsb, and all of that kind of stuff. When I first put the system together it defaulted my cpu as an xp 1800 so I went in and messed with the settings and i've just figured out that it still isn't right. I have pretty good cooling so I tried the "agressive" setting in the advanced chipset features section of the bios but it makes no difference. I'm afraid to mess with the multiplier/memory frequency settings because I dont want to blow the thing up so I'd appreciate any help with the correct settings. Thanks

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

2400 or 2600 like the topic says?
    Either way, the FSB should be 133 MHz (or 266 if measured like that). 2400+ TB should be 15 x 133.

3. nottoobright

nottoobright TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's actually a 2400, but it seems to be running at 2600. The bios settings are

cpu external freq (133mhz)
    cpu freq multiple (8.0x/16.0x)
    memory freq (100%)
    resulting freq (133mhz)

I have good cooling and my temps are very low so I figure its not hurting anything . What I have a hard time understanding is the whole multiplier thing. For some reason I cant grasp the idea. I just want to make sure the system is operating the best it can. So what processor do I need so my ram is utilized at it's full potential?

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

You don`t need to worry about the multiplier as your cpu`s multiplier is superlocked, and cannot be changed. It should be automatically detected as 15x

As Mict has already pointed out, your fsb should be set to 133mhz(266mhz effective).

Take a look HERE at the Athlon XP specs.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.