Need help w/ using tv as monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total novice here-FYI. However I would appreciate advice or suggestions on the following problem. I was trying to hook up my desktop to my new HDTV. I started by successfully hooking up my laptop. That worked - so I know the tv and cable used works fine.

I then hooked up my desktop and it initially worked. I tried running a program online but it said I needed an updated version of Firefox. So using the TV screen as my monitor I found and downloaded the appropriate upgrade and then I thought I should restart the computer. So I began that process and when the dialog box came up I selected RESTART and then I was called away from the room. Upon my return I noticed my tv was blank. The computer was on so I removed the tv cable and switched to the pc monitor and it was working. Switched back to tv cable and NO nothing! I am dumbfounded!! It did work and the cable/tv still works with laptop just not desktop.

What did I miss??

"What did I miss??"...

giving us your desktop computer's specs. What is its make and model? What type of video card is in the PC? What Operating System are you running?

Ok I hope this is the information you are referring to:

Dell Dimension DIM 4600C
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4cpu 2.66GHz

XP Home Ed. Version 2002

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
6.14.104396 Driver Version

Thank you for your reply!!

You are using on-board video. Unlike your laptops video out, this PC on-board video may not be able to be displayed on your TV. A better PCI video card is what you may need

Hmmm... SO it may not work even though it initially did for those few minutes (until it was restarted). That was the most mind boggling thing had it not worked initially I would have understood that perhaps it might need something. It is just that it did work as soon as it was plugged in.

Anyway this video card is something I would purchase from Dell, Best Buy some other place? Is it something I install or a professional?

I really appreciate all your help!! I tried this website because I really did not know how to begin solving this.

Your on board video is probably not sending the proper signal to your HDTV. Go to Best Buy and tell them what TV you have and that you need a PCI computer video card to to display on the TV. Don't be surprised if you have to spend some $$$

I would check what the resolution is set at with your monitor plugged in. It may be that the video is set to something outside your tv's range. I would also check that the refresh rate is set to your tv's specifications.

I imagine that the HDTV is an LCD TV and the laptop also has an LCD display. The monitor supplied with the old Dell 4600 is most likely a CRT monitor. The vertical refresh for LCD is 60Hz. The refresh rate for CRT displays is 72Hz to 75Hz. If ymariew can set the vertical refresh rate on the PC to 60Hz, the TV might display correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back