Need Help with a radeon 9800xt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

engine1

Hi

I just got a radeon 256 9800xt And i'm getting the following preformance issues:
-All around low frame rate (game stuttering)
-windows desktop looks a tad grainy/blurry

For some reason the core clock is 385mhz and memory clock 223mhz but its an Ati brand radeon 256 9800xt.

Any help would be greatly appereciated.

Specs:
Windows XP
Intel Celeron 320 @ 2.4 ghz
1Gig Ram
80 GB HD

PS: could my system be a bottle neck for the card, would it work better in a P4@1.7 512 megs of Ram.

that memory clock is a bit low for an 9800xt, just an ovious question, do you have the 4 pin molex connector connected to the card?

Well....you could check the quality settings. this along with refresh rate settings could affect the enjoyment. Reinstalling drivers could also help since drivers tend to get currupted.

just wondering...is yours a JetWay card? Because most people have said that their cards also came with the wrong clock speeds. The stock should be 412/730. I suppose you could just update your drivers and then download radlinker (just google it) to see where you lie in clock speeds and maybe increase them manually.

I suspect you might have slow memory as the bottleneck, usually they sell celerons with slow memory. And the clocks on the video card are obviously messed up.

Can you please find out what kind of memory you have installed (for example, SDR or DDR, if DDR what clock speed, etc)?

-I have 1gig DDR Ram duel @ 400Mhz mabey?
-In Catalyst control center my card is listed as a radeon 9800xt 256 but the box it came in says ATI Radeon series game buster

My friend has a 9800xt, and the vpu is 410, and the memory is 365. I doubt it is your system making your card appear to have lower clocks.

Incase you haven't already. Download the latest ATI drivers, either from the ATI website, or get the Omega, or NGO optimized drivers. Latest ATI driver is 5.13.

engine1 said:
-I have 1gig DDR Ram duel @ 400Mhz mabey?
-In Catalyst control center my card is listed as a radeon 9800xt 256 but the box it came in says ATI Radeon series game buster

Well that rules out the ram.

Did you compare your performance to a similar system? Just to get an idea of what you should be getting.

Also you might want to disable programs that work on the background at startup with msconfig.

MaXtor said:
My friend has a 9800xt, and the vpu is 410, and the memory is 365. I doubt it is your system making your card appear to have lower clocks.

Incase you haven't already. Download the latest ATI drivers, either from the ATI website, or get the Omega, or NGO optimized drivers. Latest ATI driver is 5.13.

I thought the Ati radeon 9800xt was supposed to stock at 412/730

Confirm your card model # so u know what u have. find the proper specs on the ATI website. The fact that your box says game buster and not the actual model sounds a little fishy. how did u know what u were buying?

secondly, test in someone elses computer and see if its the same.
its a slim chance the power connector is deffective or just not getting enough amps from your PSU in which case u can either exchange the card for a new one or adjust your PSU and cabling accordingly.

seanp789 said:
Confirm your card model # so u know what u have. find the proper specs on the ATI website. The fact that your box says game buster and not the actual model sounds a little fishy. how did u know what u were buying?

secondly, test in someone elses computer and see if its the same.
its a slim chance the power connector is deffective or just not getting enough amps from your PSU in which case u can either exchange the card for a new one or adjust your PSU and cabling accordingly.

I bid and won the card on ebay This is exactly what I recieved from the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8729760401

@engine1. Actually I think that the speeds are suppose to be 412/365, maybe you saw 412/370 and thought it was 412/730... Anyone have any other information about this?

Clock speeds can be confusing.

Both a 9800 Pro and 9800 XT should be stock clocked at:
380/350mhz (700MHz ddr memory)
XT's with Overdrive enabled hit:
412/365mhz (730mhz ddr memory)

The memory is DDR, so the memory clock frequency reported by many tools should be doubled to get the actual speed. It should be upwards of 300-350mhz though for a 9800XT. What version BIOS and drivers are you using?

The core speed sounds okay and correct. XT's idle at a lower GPU mhz and only will hit peaks of 400-412mhz with Overdrive enabled. Overdrive needs to be installed and supported in the Catalyst drivers for this to work. Overdrive basically ramps up the GPU clock to it's peak speeds and keeps GPU speeds down for desktop/2d or if higher temperatures are reached.

I'd recommend obtaining Driver Cleaner Pro- run it's LiveUpdate.. uninstalling everything ATI in the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.. then reboot in safe mode and run Driver Cleaner Pro. Then finally rebooting into Normal Mode and installing ATI Catalyst drivers V5.11 (CP or CCC if you have .NET 1.1 installed and want CCC- optional). Use the "Express" install option and reboot. With this, Overdrive should show up in the CP or CCC and enabling this should show proper GPU and memory speeds. If you have any 3rd party tools- such as ATI tools, ATI Tray Tools or tweakers- you should install any of these as well for a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back