Need help with picking parts to use for a new PC

Tom Jones

Hi guys,
I have recently been considering making myself a new computer and I can't decide what to parts use so I decided to ask for help here.
  • What are you going to use the PC for?(mostly gaming and possibly some photshop)
  • How much is your budget?(€800-1000)
  • Where are you located and what sort of system do you currently have, if any? (Ireland, a med-high end gaming pc)
  • Are you going to buy online or from a retail store? (thinking of buying online but am willing to go to a retail store.)
  • Are you going to re-use anything from your current rig(No)
  • Do you need peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, amongst others?(I need a monitor keyboard and a mouse)
  • Have you already bought any components(No)
  • Do you already have an Operating System (OS) or will you be buying one? (I'm going to buy windows 7)
  • Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a water-cooling setup?(it depends what parts are suggested.
If you have any suggestions please reply to the thread
Thanks for reading!

That's a good base to start from.
  • Get an i5 K-variant CPU, and Z motherboard. Then you can overclock later on.
  • Take out the speakers, obviously.
  • Get 2x 4GB RAM sticks instead.
  • Don't add any GPU to cart. Let us know how much money remains, and perhaps get the best card with whatever money is left.

That's a good base to start from.
  • Get an i5 K-variant CPU, and Z motherboard. Then you can overclock later on.
  • Take out the speakers, obviously.
  • Get 2x 4GB RAM sticks instead.
  • Don't add any GPU to cart. Let us know how much money remains, and perhaps get the best card with whatever money is left.
Would a i5-3470 be good enough or should I get a 3570k?
And thanks for your help!

The K (represents unlocked CPU) variant would only be useful if you plan on over-clocking. If not, then I wouldn't worry about getting an unlocked CPU.

The K (represents unlocked CPU) variant would only be useful if you plan on over-clocking. If not, then I wouldn't worry about getting an unlocked CPU.
Yeah I'm planning on doing a bit of over-clocking as I think that 3.4 ghz is a bit low, or do you think that 3.4 would be enough to play games with out straining the cpu.

With the budget you mentioned, I think you will be just fine with an i5. There really isn't that much difference between the lot of i5's. I don't know why Intel thinks they have to release so many. One i3, one i5, and one i7 per generation is basically all that is needed. Having similar specification for multiple CPU's, will only serve to confuse the consumer. If I was you; I'd make a decision i3/i5/i7, and then decide if the i5/i7 will be unlocked. As far as frequencies, that is trivial. Since you are looking to over-clock an i5, then the choice has been made. It is the 3570K you want.

I'm thinking of getting a i5-3570k processor an Asus P8Z77 motherboard and a Sharkoon T9 Value green case. Altogether that makes €338.67 which is just over a third of my budget is that a reasonable proportion of my budget? Should I change any of those?
Thanks in advance!

With the budget you mentioned, I think you will be just fine with an i5. There really isn't that much difference between the lot of i5's. I don't know why Intel thinks they have to release so many. One i3, one i5, and one i7 per generation is basically all that is needed. Having similar specification for multiple CPU's, will only serve to confuse the consumer. If I was you; I'd make a decision i3/i5/i7, and then decide if the i5/i7 will be unlocked. As far as frequencies, that is trivial. Since you are looking to over-clock an i5, then the choice has been made. It is the 3570K you want.
Thank you!
Well, that means I know one component that I'm getting.
Now for the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of getting a i5-3570k processor an Asus P8Z77 motherboard and a Sharkoon T9 Value green case. Altogether that makes €338.67 which is just over a third of my budget is that a reasonable proportion of my budget? Should I change any of those?
Thanks in advance!

I think those parts look good. Personally, I LOVE the Sharkoon case. I think it's great value and does everything you would want it to. Sure it is not as good as Corsair cases (which are my favorites), but I am so happy with my T9 red on my secondary build.

Here's a bit of advice based on your budget and location to see if this can get you an idea of what to expect at your budget (This is just what would do so take it lightly):

i5 4670K 166.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX 106.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2x4gb 64.09
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler 25.86
Corsair CXM 600Watt 62.50
Sharkoon T9 ATX Case (The one you selected 50,99
Gigabyte GTX 780 OC 359.98
Samsung EVO 240gb SSD 98.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb 42.99

This is below your 1k Euro Budget and should at least give you an idea of what to expect.

Here's a bit of advice based on your budget and location to see if this can get you an idea of what to expect at your budget (This is just what would do so take it lightly):

i5 4670K 166.99
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX 106.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2x4gb 64.09
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler 25.86
Corsair CXM 600Watt 62.50
Sharkoon T9 ATX Case (The one you selected 50,99
Gigabyte GTX 780 OC 359.98
Samsung EVO 240gb SSD 98.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb 42.99

This is below your 1k Euro Budget and should at least give you an idea of what to expect.
Thanks just one problem that is 1000 pounds not euros and the 1000 budget should include a screen a keyboard and a mouse.

Back