Need help with this video card and power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mini Tower

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 2 GHz

Installed Memory 1 GB 533(DDR2 SDRAM)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition

that's your system

little advise, dont skimp on the power supply, in which you're doing, with psu's you usually get what you pay for, those rails on the 12v of the psu arent powerful enough to run that card how'd you want it to run.

Don't think I like the looks of that power supply...

You get what you pay for. you're better off with a lower Watt power supply from a good brand, that you are with that. So get this instead.

Just for the benefit of everyone else, there is a PCIe x16 in that Gateway, so the graphics card is compatible.

CMH said:
Don't think I like the looks of that power supply...

You get what you pay for. you're better off with a lower Watt power supply from a good brand, that you are with that. So get this instead.

Just for the benefit of everyone else, there is a PCIe x16 in that Gateway, so the graphics card is compatible.

I swear your last name should be lexmark, lol.

Lexmark? Cos I don't like the looks? :D

FSP group? Never heard of them, but if you say its good....

Its 50W more than the Antec, but the same price....

FSP Group is an excellent brand. They make highly reliable PSU's. I fully recommend them (I've used about four FSP PSU's).

Also, they're pretty cheap :D

Well, it may be reliable enough for use, but it may not be a good power supply, and might falter after awhile, or if you load them up enough.

MOST computers don't come with a high quality power supply, and alot of complaints are caused by cheap power supplies. But that doesn't mean everyone who owns a cheap power supply will run into problems with it. In fact, most people don't run into problems with cheap power supplies.

If you're willing to run that risk, then your original PSU will do.

As with FSP, I've never read any reviews on them, never seen any sort of highly methodological testing on them, and I have never seen the insides of one, so I shouldn't comment on them. So I will comment on the Antec, of which I own a few of my own, and have been proven again and again on highly methodological testing.

Bear in mind that the Wattage is just an indication of what the PSU might do in a cheap power supply. As in, it is POSSIBLE for it to reach 400W in a cheap power supply. Some cheap power supply independently test each rail, and add up the Wattage, which is just stupid because you will not just use the +12V rail, or the +5V, or -12V or whatever, but all of them at the same time. However, in good power supplies, the rated Wattage is the maximum average Wattage which can be sustained by the PSU. A cheap PSU on the same testing as a good one will be rated much lower.

Hope that clears things up.

Don't worry, I have opened some FSP PSU's. They have a huge transformer. They look high quality, are very heavy, and can sustain heavy loads.
Trust me on this, I have loaded very heavily a 300W FSP PSU, and it was extremely stable.

Their fan is usually quiet, and they run cool.

Just check some reviews @ Newegg. Most people rate them high (except some *****s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back