Need help with "Unresponsive script"

Doug8765

Hi -
One of the problems I was never able to fix with Windows 7 is still with me with Windows 10. Actually there were others, but this one - "Unresponsive Script" (the picture of the dialog is attached) - is the one bothering me today. For all intents the browser is hung. Currently I find that using the Task Manager to kill the browser is the best solution. I can't believe the designers planned such a resolution. Happens all the time.

It's not just this one site. Seems to happen everywhere. Will another browser eliminate it? I've been using Firefox for a long time.

I'd appreciate insights and a solution to this problem.

I keep all the software current and clean up the computer using cleaner programs (for example, CCleaner). If there are good Windows 10 maintenance programs, please tell me! I like free solutions.

Thank you.
Doug8765

Attachments

• Unresponsive script dialog 17May2016.png
    Unresponsive script dialog 17May2016.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi -
I'm adding a couple additional information points:
  • Now I've got an "Unresponsive plugin" error from Shockwave Flash. I've attached the "Unresponsive plugin" dialog to this post. If it's not one thing, it's another.
  • I just now loaded Firefox (something from the Firefox browser support forum) in safe mode, to see if that fixes the problem. The answer is definitely not the case. It's still getting hung up
Doug

Attachments

• Unresponsive plugin dialog 18May2016.png
    Unresponsive plugin dialog 18May2016.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 3
I have the same thing happening and I use Firefox too. I've got used to it and close then reopen the browser. It's not bothered me to the extent that I'd swap browsers. None of my computers are exactly state of the art although three are running W10. It was the same with W7 and W8.1.

I have the same thing happening and I use Firefox too. I've got used to it and close then reopen the browser. It's not bothered me to the extent that I'd swap browsers. None of my computers are exactly state of the art although three are running W10. It was the same with W7 and W8.1.

Hi bazz2004 -
Thank you for your post, suggesting that I get used to it. Not necessarily what I wanted to read, but sometimes that's the common sense response.

The Firefox support forum suggested an addin called YesScript, which I've installed and with which I am experimenting. Basically, I have to type in the addresses of sites that I visit and it doesn't allow the scripts to run on that site. If the site I want won't work without scripts then I reevaluate. I leave the Task Manager up and watch the CPU tab to see how much it's up at 99%.

I'm still interested in better resolutions. Anyone?

Doug

My conclusion on the change to Settings in Firefox is that it stopped the error message appearing but the browser still hangs at times. I now just wait for it to free up again, rather than restarting Firefox, which is a small improvement.

Hi -
Playing with YesScript made me more aware of which sites need scripts, so I use them quickly and delete the tab. Wish there was a better solution.

Doug

Hi -
I'll be interested to find out what you learn.

One of the offenders of this unresponsive script stuff sent me some help. Their main piece of advice was to run their website on IE and not Firefox. So I've started doing that. It's not as much of a hog that I have to kill the browser every time I run it, but it's still the case that I bring the page up, do whatever I wanted to do and immediately close the page. An improvement, but not what I wanted.

Thanks for telling me about All Browser Zip. Let me know what you find.

Doug

If you read the popup of 17-may carefully, it clearly identifies the script is from google:
tpc.googlesyndication.com...
and these happen whenever a website deploys Google services . . . and who does not?

The slowness is an overloaded google server and there's nothing we can do.

I haven't had the problem on my laptop since installing the software but I'm usually one of the first to update things. I'm running W10 Anniversary edition on my computers - apart from two XP antiques, so I can't be sure whether the unresponsive script hangup has gone for good or not. We need a few issues to keep things interesting though - just so long as it's not the black screen of death. :)

I haven't had the problem on my laptop since installing the software but I'm usually one of the first to update things. I'm running W10 Anniversary edition on my computers - apart from two XP antiques, so I can't be sure whether the unresponsive script hangup has gone for good or not. We need a few issues to keep things interesting though - just so long as it's not the black screen of death. :)

Hi bazz2004 -
I contacted the customer service of the website that matters most to me that has this problem. They nicely gave the suggestion that their application works better on IE. Now I use IE for this one app. Still hogs the performance, but I can do what I need to do and close it down right away.

I think we're done with this.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Doug

Ah yes, I remember Internet Explorer. Don't forget that Microsoft Edge has replaced Internet Explorer in Windows 10. I've not done more than fire Edge up a couple of times and am sticking to Firefox. Thanks for posting the thread.

Ah yes, I remember Internet Explorer. Don't forget that Microsoft Edge has replaced Internet Explorer in Windows 10. I've not done more than fire Edge up a couple of times and am sticking to Firefox. Thanks for posting the thread.

Hi bazz2004 -
There are apps that only work with IE. I have yet to find a use for Edge, other than to change the time on my computer.

Doug

I just gave it a go and it came up as an interesting MSI news feed page including a weather forecast for my area. It loaded up this Techspot page very quickly too so maybe in it's latest form Edge is better than we gave it credit for.

Hi -
One of the problems I was never able to fix with Windows 7 is still with me with Windows 10. Actually there were others, but this one - "Unresponsive Script" (the picture of the dialog is attached) - is the one bothering me today. For all intents the browser is hung. Currently I find that using the Task Manager to kill the browser is the best solution. I can't believe the designers planned such a resolution. Happens all the time....[ ]...
Call me naive, but I always thought that message was produced by an error in "NoScript", as when you go from a page where you have given permissions, to one with a different script running. It happens to me when I'm doing my banking and making a payment, as the website's security escalates with additional scripts into the next window.

My most recent "cure", has been to simply click, "continue", and have a bit of patience.

Newegg's payment "we're checking with your credit card company window" freezes all the time. You're notified a script isn't running, and they give you a button to click, to send the whole mess through. Well, I have to go back and close that window later, and I'm never at my bank's website, but then I get the notification that my card was accepted, and everything is honky-dory.

You could always try updating Java, that is, if Windows 10 will let you.:D

The only recent occurences for me have been when browsing in XP (Guest OS running inside W10 anniv Host). I rarely use VMWare Player except to run old programs with compatibility issues so it's of little importance. On my two original XP desktop systems browsing is simply slow whatever I do. I probably use the iPad more than a PC when browsing or checking mail but, touch wood, all seems good in W10 anniv edition.

Back