Need help with upgrading my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gourry25

Well with games I want to play that require faster processors as well as more ram I need to upgrade and I want to do it either January or February. Now here is what I currently have:

current Pc specs:

Amd Athlon Xp 2000+
1.67 GHz 512 of ram
Mobo is a Soyo Draon Plus Kt-333
Video card is an ATI Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO with 256 megs of ram
Sound card is a Creative Sb Live
My Tower needs to be a bit bigger and I'll probally need a better PSU. currently I have a Antec True 430W PSU
I have a Cd-r and a DVD-R as well as 2 hd's both Maxtor's

What I want to be able to do is play games like Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Splinter Cell: double agent with good settings. I would love to get another antec Tower and PSu if I can, but for the Mobo and other stuff I need some opinions.

My prince range is around the $250 mark. So any help would be really appreciated. as well as any questions that you might need to ask.

Hmmm. Tough call. Your board supports a maximum of the XP barton 3000 (333mhz) cpu, and has an AGPx4 slot for graphics. I think a new board is in order, but your graphics card (the X800) is also AGP so you need to get an AGP board.

What form factor is your current case? Is it ATX, microATX? We need to know this before we can suggest a new board. If your budget is only $250, it is best that you use that same case so you can use your money on a new mobo, CPU and ram. Your PSU is plenty for a new system (and made by a good company as well).

Let us know your case's form factor, and we can help you put together a decent system.

EDIT: your board is an ATX form factor, so we can assume you also have an ATX case (I just went out for dinner and had this revelation while eating lol).

The problem is this. If you want to use AGP graphics and a newer motherboard, you are pretty much limited to microATX motherboards. I just did some quick looking around and was unable to find a decent AM2, 939 or 775 motherboard with AGP graphics that wasn't microATX.

Not that microATX is bad or anything, but it does limit your options as far as how much other hardware you can install in there (limited PCI slots, ram slots etc.).

If you are OK with a miroATX motherboard, here is a cheap upgrade solution for you:

Motherboard: $44
CPU: $89
Ram: $108

That all fits in your budget and gives you a socket AM2 system for future upgrades. Just be aware that you do not have a PCI-e x16 slot for graphics upgrades in the future. You are stuck with AGP graphics, however in your budget this is what I'd recommend. See what some others say.

Well if I were to go to PCI-E, would my case still work or would i need a whole new case as well as mobo, and video card?

You can use the same case as long as everything fits. The PSU may be fine as well unless you go with high end parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back