Need Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSTO

Hey im really not the most computer wiz out there but i do know a thing or two. I just bought a new Ati x1300 pro and tried to install it. after installing it into the computer, when i went to boot it the monitor said that something involving the symbols khz and hz weren't right or something. Can anyone please help me out that would be really be helpful.

Probably your refresh rate. ATI X1300 are optimal at 75mhz. Your's is (probably) set at default by the OS at 60mhz. It's adjustable in your screen properties.

chuck4456 said:
Probably your refresh rate. ATI X1300 are optimal at 75mhz. Your's is (probably) set at default by the OS at 60mhz. It's adjustable in your screen properties.

You mean Hz ;) ?

Come on man, you can write a better thread title than that, at least provide some indication of what the problem is in the title.

Press F8 several times on startup before the Windows splash screen appears so you'll get a menu, then choose VGA mode. Boot into that, download new drivers, install, reboot.

ok here is exactly the problem.....the new card is all hooked up inside the computer but when i got to boot the monitor reed out of frequency range, what does that mean and how do i fix it?

Means its out of the range of frequencies it can display, with any monitor/graphics card built in the last 8 years it will display the POST (power on self test) done by the computer and allow you to get into the BIOS and such. What happens is when the OS tries to load it changes the display settings, if you have a card set too a resolution/frequency the monitor can't display you will get that error. So do what I said earlier, if you are getting this error from the very start when you turn on the computer, and can't see any text at any point, then your graphics card is broke, take it back.

Exactly what monitor are you trying to use? Yes, I meant HZ. Perhaps we should have cleared that one up at the get-go. Sorry.

No.

Do that F8 trick I said earlier. Are you seeing any readable text before your monitor complains about the frequency?

no there is no text it just goes to that screen its like a blue box with red green and boxes there is no text and no way to get out of it

and the monitor is a dell monitor, dont know what kind but ill check but its only like 2 years old

You either got a bad cable, or bad connection, or a dead card. Don't happen to have any other monitors laying around do you? Or even your old card to test the cable and monitor are still fine.

Is the card properly seated?

JSTO said:
no there is no text it just goes to that screen its like a blue box with red green and boxes there is no text and no way to get out of it

and the monitor is a dell monitor, dont know what kind but ill check but its only like 2 years old

It sounds like a bad card to me. Return it for another and then see if that one functions correctly.

and heres something i didnt think of till now but should i install the drivers on the cd that the card came with then install the card, or do that afterward....and thanks for the help with this guys im a complete ***** when it comes to computers, i just play counter strike on it

and yea im runnin my old card in here right now as im typin and i used my moms monitor and it did the same thing

JSTO said:
and heres something i didnt think of till now but should i install the drivers on the cd that the card came with then install the card, or do that afterward....and thanks for the help with this guys im a complete ***** when it comes to computers, i just play counter strike on it

If you know how to install a video card, you know something about computers ;), everyone starts somewhere (I still consider myself "new" at this).

Something is wrong with your card then, the monitor should always display the first stuff when you power your computer on. Installing drivers first won't do anything for this, the problem is happening outside the OS.

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+ Processor
(, , )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™2
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2700)
Hard Drive: 160GB HDD (7200rpm)
Optical Drive: DVD ± RW Drive (Write Max: 8x DVD±R, 4x DVD±RW, 32x CD-R, 16x CD-RW; Reads 40x CD, 12x DVD); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce®4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)
Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

heres my specs....maybe my comp is just to old to use it

JSTO said:
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+ Processor
(, , )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™2
Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2700)
Hard Drive: 160GB HDD (7200rpm)
Optical Drive: DVD ± RW Drive (Write Max: 8x DVD±R, 4x DVD±RW, 32x CD-R, 16x CD-RW; Reads 40x CD, 12x DVD); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce®4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)
Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

heres my specs....maybe my comp is just to old to use it

By any chance do you have an eMachines T3256 ;) ? Revert back to your GeForce 4 MX graphics card and return your FX5500.

cfitzarl said:
By any chance do you have an eMachines T3256 ;) ? Revert back to your GeForce 4 MX graphics card and return your FX5500.

yea it is a t3256 so what is this thing i need i need to return

In post #7 of this thread the solution was already found. Your card is broke. It should never have gotten to 23 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back