TechSpot

need opinion on new CPU and MoBo

By DeputyDawg
Mar 29, 2007
  1. Right now I have an old Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz and some old crappy dell MoBo that you can't find any info on. I would like to get a Core Duo that's obviously better then the CPU I have now but cheap around $150-250. I don't know to much on how to compare GHz from CPU to CPU to see which is faster so... I need help on that. I would also like to get a MoBo that supports crossfire. I would like to get a ATI radeon x1900 to use with my ATI radeon Sapphire x800 GTO. I can find the MoBo but anyone recommend what I should get for a CPU?
    (keep in mind I'm a big gamer playing Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, and Counter Strike: Source) Thanks =) goodies!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"(keep in mind I'm a big gamer playing Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, and Counter Strike: Source) Thanks =) goodies!"

Trash the whole Dell system and build yourself a new system. The Dell power supply is most likely not good enough to support any new CPU or motherboard

3. dasudevil

dasudevil TS Rookie

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,673   +1,873

EMT What!!!

Intel states that their newer processors will only run with a 64 bit enabled BIOS. That's even with 32 bit operating systems. That's all the Cedar Mills. And to the best of my knowledge the Conroes as well. I have read many product reviews on the P4s (631, 641 etc) with guys bellyaching that they won't run in their old mobos.
    Just a note of caution.

5. topps999

topps999 TS Rookie Posts: 139

yeh dell computers are **** pc tbh... i'd get a am2 mobo (around 50-90pounds) and a anthlon 64 2x 4600+ or 4800+ xD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.