TechSpot

Need PSU advice for my new system

By flowerpower
Mar 2, 2007
  1. I'm getting a new pc and i wanted to get some input/advice on the PSU. I need a PSU that will power my system and 2 8800 GTS in SLI. I'm not getting 2 cards right away, i will be buying 1 for now, but i would like to have an option of adding one in the future so thats why i need something to power 2 cards. Also i'm getting a power-hungry FX-62 processor which requires 125W as well. I am currently considering 2 PSUs: OCZ Game X Stream 850W or Enermax Infinity 720W

My system specs:
    AMD Anthlon 64 FX-62 Windsor
    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
    2 GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO
    2 8800 GTS
    150 GB WD Raptor
    250 GB Seagate Barracuda
    Zalman 9500 AM2
    Lite-on SATA DVD Burner
    Mitsumi Floppy and card reader
    Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer
    Creative inspire P7800 speakers
    PS/2 Keyboard and mouse

May also add an OEM SATA DVD-ROM

Any thoughts on my PSU choices or recomendations for something better?

2. JRaml

JRaml TS Rookie Posts: 16

Go above 700W

I'm sure you know this, but go with at least a 700W. I've got a Rosewill 550W and I love it. Nice chrome casing with blue LED's and generous options. Even has a fan setting on the back for OC'ers.

3. flowerpower

flowerpower TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 138

Yes, i know that, thats why i'm considering these 2 PSUs. But what i don't know is how many Amps on the 12 volt rails i need and how many 12v rails should a good PSU have.Both of these are certified by Nvidia for dual 8800GTS but i've heard stories of certified PSUs not having enough power for everything so i dont trust their certification.

Here's the info on both PSUs:

Enermax: +12V1@28A,+12V2@28A,+12V3@30A

OCZ: +12V1@20A,+12V2@20A,+12V3@20A,+12V4@20A

Anyone know if either will be enough?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.