Need Some Help With Upgrading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I am new to TechSpot, I was a lurker before, and have gotten some great advice, at looking at other threads. But right not I have some problems. Ok I have a Dell Dimension 4700. It has 1GB RAM, Intel P4 2.8GHZ, ATI X300, and a 305WAT powersupply. A few days ago I ordered a MSI Nvidia 8500GT Video Card from Newegg, all the other brands for this card such as XFX, EVGA, BIOSTAR, said this card requires 300WAT, when I got my card it said on the manual 350WAT+ required. Anyways I also went to Extreme Power Supply Calculator, and put in everything I have along with the 8500GT, it said I need 276WAT, I have 305WAT would I be fine? Also does Dell Underrate there powersupplies. Also what kind of power supply do I have? Like ATX, ATX12V, cuz I cant find out, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/techov.htm#wp1053452. Thats the power supply I have, if anyone can help me that will be great!

What we have here is......

The PSU in the link you presented is an ATX 12v it has the newer 24 pin main power connector. There aren't many add-in Graphics cards that require as little power as you're suggesting. Besides if you're going to consider 276 watts as what will be necessary, why bother to replace the PSU at all? 350 to 400 watts should be considered a minimum upgrade. Some of the replacement supplies (with higher wattages) may be slightly deeper and therefore a slight squeeze to get in the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back