Need some Info on a SATA 2 PCI-E Card..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

I have this MoBo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131014

and I'm in need of some more SATA 2 ports for some more HDD's in my PC since i already have all 4 of the MoBo's ones in use..
so im thinking of getting this PCI-E card to do give me some more ports..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816230001

But i was wondering about a few things that im not sure on, before i go ahead an buy it..

*will this card essentially give me 4 extra sata 2 ports, 2 internal & 2 external eSATA ports..??

or

* Do I have to connect 2 of my MoBo's SATA 2 ports to this cards internal SATA 2 ports to only get to use the 2 external eSATA ports..??

or

* can i use all 4 ports at the same time occupied each with a 500GB HDD:
2 internal & 2 in e-SATA 2 cases like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817106098

I have that drive and would say it can be installed any way u want. It comes with an adapter that will fit in a pci slot and then plug to the SATA slot in the computer or it can be just plugged into a USB2 slot and used as an external hard drive, now I am not saying u can use more ports than the MB has as I have not found a way to do this other than using a USB2 port and just setting an external hard drive. which for backing up is what I wanted.

The card only allows use of two at a time. That's my interpretation.

Note that the Newegg page for the PCI- E card you linked to has a link to the manufacturer's product page. On the page that comes up there is a link to a manual in pdf format. That's my reference. That said, I'm sure you could have come up with that yourself. :)

yeah im sure i could have too, but i was just wondering if anybody here already knew or not, b-cuz in kinda a lil new to all this sata card stuff.. so thought sumone could help me out in here..

would you happen to know of any sata 2 pci-e cards that can do what im asking for..??

I looked around and didn't find any yet. It doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I didn't see one.

so, are most of the sata 2 pcie cards only able to operate either only the internal ports or the external ports at a time.. not all at the same time.. ??

or are their any sata 2 pcie cards that can have all external and internal ports simultaneously working together without having to set or reset jumper settings..??

I need to have 2 internal HDD's hooked up to this card and be able to plugin an external e-SATA HDD when ever without having to change a jumper setting on the card every time i want to plug it in..

anybody know of any cards that can do this..??

Mate if as you say, you are new to all this, allow me to ask....
Why on earth would you need more than 4 sata drives in your pc????

It may not sound like a helpful question, but your requirements seem very much like overkill to mem unless you were proficient enough to raid it all together. Or have special needs for so many drives.

yez..
i do gotz special needz main.
i juz gots ta have me lots o storage mate for me personal pono collection ahaaan..!!!!
juz kiddin.

dude i just have a lot of videos & games & apps and shiz i download and i need lots of storage and all my hdds are getting filled up so i need more..
and my mobo only gots 4 sata ports on it, wif 3 500GB hdds currently hooked up to them. so i just gotta get sum more aight. i really don't need to raid mirror or back up stuffs, i just need the card to give me sum extra sata ports so i can add more storage drives to my PC..

and i figure having a sata card that also has a e-sata port on it will give me the ability to take some of meez media collection on the go too.

so thas why i need a card that can do both internal & external sata @ tha same time..

Ok, i understood most of that, even though you spoke like a chav! ;)
You ought to buy a NAS case and put your sata drive in there.

yeah but don't NAS case only allow data transfer rates as fast as the network connection though..?? like 1Gbps or so if using a gigabit network like i gots.??

I want to be able to transfer data at the sata 2 full potenial of 3Gbps...

Dude, i think you'll find that most sataII drives don't out perform Sata or even some ATA-133 drives as much as you'd think, or like them too.
Check out some hdd benchtests.
Plus, the terastation Pro i have has 4 x 250Gb sataII Samsung SpinPoint 2504C drives in, and its pretty darn fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back