Need to format a disk with errors in a RAID 0 array

Status
Not open for further replies.

kshroben

I have a RAID 0 array composed of two 80 gig drives. The slave drive seems to have errors on it and I was wondering if formatting that individual drive will allow me to use the disk again to store data. If this is possible, how does one go about formatting an individual drive of the array? I need detailed instructions, please.

Please help. I have been dealing with this porblem for a while now. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
kshroben.

You cannot mark bad sectors on one drive in a RAID array. Your RAID controller should be smart enough to mark the whole RAID stripe bad. Check the RAID setup program for some initialise or check function. You may lose all your data though. Didn't anyone tell you that RAID0 is bad for data integrity?

If your drive is still under warranty and it has bad sectors then you can have it replaced of course. But again, you will lose your RAID contents :)

Nodsu said:
You cannot mark bad sectors on one drive in a RAID array. Your RAID controller should be smart enough to mark the whole RAID stripe bad. Check the RAID setup program for some initialise or check function. You may lose all your data though. Didn't anyone tell you that RAID0 is bad for data integrity?

If your drive is still under warranty and it has bad sectors then you can have it replaced of course. But again, you will lose your RAID contents :)

Thanks for your reply. I am new to RAID. But I did learn my lesson. Thank you.
Regards,
kshroben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back