Need to move my hd to another computer, need to rescue files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a computer that got messed up, some of the windows files are corrupt or missing, long story short couldn't fix it and I want to remove the hard drive and plug it into another computer and simply use the working computer, (I imagine a new drive would show up in “my computer” where i could simply drag and drop files to the working hd) and recovery a bunch of files that are in that drive with the screwed up OS, does anyone know if this is as easy as it sounds or will I need to do something fancy in order for this to work, both computers use windows XP, but they are slightly different versions of windows, i dunno if that'll be a problem

p.s I have a little experience with upgrading and building computers but I’ve never done this before, I’m afraid I might damage or erase that HD :O
also another option i could do is use an external HD I have (250gb), plug it into the screwed up computer, and some how use a bootdisk with a easy graphic interface to drag my files to my external hd, but i don't know of any such boot disk :( or if that' even possible?

I imagine a new drive would show up in “my computer” where i could simply drag and drop files to the working hd
Most of the time that is what's going to happen, unless the file-system on the drive is corrupt. If it's just windows system files that are missing, you might want to try a repair install.

also another option i could do is use an external HD I have (250gb), plug it into the screwed up computer, and some how use a bootdisk with a easy graphic interface to drag my files to my external hd
You could use any Linux distro that has a live-CD.

Have your tried running Windows in Repair mode? Usually you can get a defective or corrupted drive working well enough to save the key files and directories to a flash drive.
What you wish to do is easy the second time. The first time, work slowly, and think through each step so you don't permanently damage or eliminate key files.
If you have the space, and it is an IDE drive, you can jumper this old drive as Slave, and the new drive as Master. I would completely install the new drive first, with all the Windows, Office, Internet and other files you intend to use. Then change the jumpers so you have a Master and a Slave. It is easy to drag and drop files. But it is now easy to know where they are so you can move them... so take a look at those programs listed in Program files.
If the drives are SATA drives, you will find it "easy" to copy files.

yep, I already tried a repair install, my computer didnt have a cd, itried downloading some but they didnt work etc etc.

I'm going to try moving my hd today, thank for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back