Need to send 60 photos

Doug8765

Hi - We had a family party and wish to send the 60 photos to everyone who attended. How do I compose an email that can enable access to all the photos? Attaching them all in one email, even if shrunk, is going to be too big - won't it? I'd be especially happy if it cost nothing. I'd like some kind of navigable array of all the photos in a single session.

When I've googled "file compressor jpg", I get lots of choices which seem to be inapplicable.

I'll appreciate your help, especially to a relevant "how-to" story or something that gives stories that people have experienced in their own forays.

Thanks in advance.
Doug8765

Maybe you could use a zip utility to compress the photos into a smaller file. Windows has a built-in zip utility you could use or use an archive utility of your choice. If the zip file turns out to be too large still, I suggest zipping the photos into smaller groups and sending more than one email. Yes, a bit more work but it's one way to do it.

Mailpup - I tried that suggestion for Windows and File Manager's Zip function. It won 1% on my 60 JPG files, giving me a 107 Megabyte directory of shrunk files. That 1% win does not seem to get me down to the size that would slide under the email filesize filters. BTW, what are the current filesize limits for email providers? I've sent 20 Meg files in the past.

I'm looking to improve the experience of the recipients as they navigate these files. Some kind of scan of all 60 files, in one single experience, using a cursor to scan the pix.

Doug8765

If you are hard set on pushing forward with your idea, I would get 7zip (free) and add them all to an archive and then have that compress it into 20 meg or less segments (like rars, or maybe 7zip does its own splitting). Then email those individually, problem with that is they'll need something like 7zip or winrar to extract them. To answer your question, its going to be whatever the email server's limits are, if you run your own, then I suppose it could be limitless, but I think gmails and yahoo are around 20 megs.

However, what I would do in this case is put them up online somewhere. Somewhere like flickr or google photos. You can still lock that down and make it so only people with the right link can view.

If you are hard set on pushing forward with your idea, I would get 7zip (free) and add them all to an archive and then have that compress it into 20 meg or less segments (like rars, or maybe 7zip does its own splitting). Then email those individually, problem with that is they'll need something like 7zip or winrar to extract them. To answer your question, its going to be whatever the email server's limits are, if you run your own, then I suppose it could be limitless, but I think gmails and yahoo are around 20 megs.

However, what I would do in this case is put them up online somewhere. Somewhere like flickr or google photos. You can still lock that down and make it so only people with the right link can view.

Hi SNGX1275 - I like the Google Photos idea.
Do you know how I can change the file date?
I think that I need all the dates of the pictures to be on 9/6/2020, because that was when the pictures were taken, but the camera I used had a faulty date of 5/10/2020. So if I want Google Photos to put them in the correct date order, I need to fix the date. I tried an application called Attribute Changer, but I can't get it to work. Everything runs the way they say, except the date isn't changed to 9/6/2020.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaving shortly for work so I won't be able to reply till tomorrow. Thanks.

Doug8765

This problem recently came up for the wife with a Powerpoint. Trying to reduce the size with a zip file didn't work because the file size change was minimal. Splitting the Powerpoint and sending it in bits worked and she managed that herself. My suggestion was to save the file to the Cloud (Windows 10 has One Drive and there are lots of other Cloud services with free storage) and email links to the people she wanted to access it. That worked too and makes the most sense to me. It's not something I have occasion to do but once done it should be dead easy to repeat as and when necessary.

Hi -
I've gone with the Google Photos. The feature I am looking for is to make it easy for my viewers to scan through all the photos easily, without having to load another file.

Thank you all for helping me sort out what's important. Much help. Appreciated.

Doug8765

Hi SNGX1275 - I like the Google Photos idea.
Do you know how I can change the file date?
I think that I need all the dates of the pictures to be on 9/6/2020, because that was when the pictures were taken, but the camera I used had a faulty date of 5/10/2020. So if I want Google Photos to put them in the correct date order, I need to fix the date. I tried an application called Attribute Changer, but I can't get it to work. Everything runs the way they say, except the date isn't changed to 9/6/2020...

Glad thats going to work for you. Sorry that I do not know a way to change the dates. I'd search for a jpg metadata editor if I was looking for something to do that. But, I think you may not need to do that if their display order is what you are concerned about. Whatever dates they were taken on in the camera, even if its wrong, is still offset correctly. So I think the order will show just fine in Google Photos, but yeah, google photos will have the wrong days.

Glad thats going to work for you. Sorry that I do not know a way to change the dates. I'd search for a jpg metadata editor if I was looking for something to do that. But, I think you may not need to do that if their display order is what you are concerned about. Whatever dates they were taken on in the camera, even if its wrong, is still offset correctly. So I think the order will show just fine in Google Photos, but yeah, google photos will have the wrong days.
I went with keeping the dates as they are and nobody has said a thing about why are the pix out of order. The further we get into the future, the less anyone will notice anything at all. So I'm guilty of overthinking again.

Doug8765

I went with keeping the dates as they are and nobody has said a thing about why are the pix out of order. The further we get into the future, the less anyone will notice anything at all. So I'm guilty of overthinking again.

Doug8765
Even if someone does bring it up, all you have to do is briefly explain what happened. I wouldn't think that it should be a problem.

Hmm; I have a lot of pics and they are in folders, typically by location. Viewing them depends upon the folder view and date{taken vs uploaded} are typical.

If you can get a copy of Picasa 3 (last free version by Google) you would enjoy it.

Back