Needing help with crash dump analysis

By 00pontiac
Jul 8, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Having a problem with appcrashes on my vista based pc. Three programs, all related, used to run beautifully for me, then suddenly one day there's appcrashes.

I've installed windows debugging tools and have full dumps, a dump from taskmanager, and my adplus log that I was able to ferret out. But beyond these I'm stuck, I have no idea how to read them and despite my ability to google with the best of them I have no idea what to do now.

If you read the log you'll see the program is visual pinball. Please really needing help, I'm not just a table author, I'm a player lol sorry, stupid joke, but I can't afford a new computer (as that's the only thing besides this that might work at this point) I'm at my wits end here.

I'm posting my adplus log, hope this is relevant, the full dumps and task manager dump are a bit to big to post... but I'll find a way if needed.

Attached Files:

2. 00pontiac

00pontiac TS Rookie Topic Starter

am I being to vague? not enough info? anything?
  3. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time; the Zip option will compress the files in order for you to attach. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.
  4. 00pontiac

thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

what's confusing is the manage attachments feature here only accepts a 200k filesize.

my dump files are over 100megs each, and around 30megs each zipped. that's why I posted the original adplus log.

I tried anyways but they are not being uploaded.

unless I'm still not understanding, or somethings gone terribly wrong, I'll post these on the web somewhere and post the link shortly.
  5. 00pontiac

here is the link, sorry for not putting it in link tags, my post count must be 5 or greater to add a link here.
  6. 00pontiac

sorry for the spam, the system here is intelligent enough to spot a text link too
  7. 00pontiac

8. 00pontiac

ok, I can understand no one wanting to help.

could someone tell me then, if I needed to learn this myself what would be a good spot to start? maybe some links, or even just some advice. the microsoft site isn't helping, and some of the recent places I've been to have apparently not helped, such as installing ms debugging tools or running the adplus tool for the log. which obviously is not what I want to be doing.

I might be a noob here, but I'm not stupid, I'm just stuck.

9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

That is weird. Can you please see how your system is configured to record minidump files?

Steps for to check this are:

1. Right click on My Computer
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Then click on "Advanced System Settings"
    4. Go to Advanced Tab
    5. Click on Settings Under "Startup and Recovery"
    6. Ensure that 'Small Memory Dump' is selected under Write Debugging Information.

Whenever you have an BSOD next time around please zip it and attach with your next post.
  10. 00pontiac

Thanks for your help. My problem is an Appcrash tho, maybe this has something to do with it? I don't know, but I did find my dump size set to Kernel instead of Small, so after changing that and restarting I tried again. But still the dump file is > 100 megs.
  11. Archean

I will get back to you on this dump size issue, can you please have a look at your Event Viewer logs, especially looking at the yellow/red tagged events and tell me whatever details are available. You can do so by going Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.
  12. 00pontiac

well it seems my computer is a complete mess, it was new in 2008 and there's been a lot of activity on it, there's just too many red and yellow flagged items for me to guess which ones would be appropriate to post here.

I thought maybe the "Windows Logs>Application" section and I found a red Error flagged for my application that's crashing, I'll post it here but I have my doubts that this is what I should be looking for...

I just can't thank you enough for your help, I wish I were more knowledgeable about these things...

13. Archean

Please download BlueScreenView and select folder where your minidumps are located to view results. Then rightly click on each entry and save the results in txt form, then attach these with your next post.
  14. 00pontiac

Actually, I already had that program as well as most of the other nirsoft apps, despite the fact I don't know what I'm doing I've been busy trying...

My next problem, BlueScreenView doesn't recognize any of my dump files.
  15. Archean

In that case we have no option but to try to install debugging tools on your system.

Please download appropriate version for your PC from here.

Note: Please select appropriate version according to your OS, i.e. x64 or x86.

Once you have downloaded and installed Windbg, please follow these steps:

1. Create a folder named MSS in C:\ drive
    2. Open Windbg
    3. Press Ctrl+S, and cut/paste this in the appearing box:

4. Click on OK.

5. Then Ctrol+D, and scroll to the folder containing minidumps, you can can then select one minidump at a time for analysis.
    6. It will take some time as the appropriate symbols get downloaded / and dump is analyzed, once that is done please paste the results here.

Lastly, please provide us with complete system specifications of your computer.
  16. 00pontiac

ok, I had already managed to download and install the debugging tools and the symbols on my own. Here are the results, I don't think this is right as it does not appear to be much information... there wasn't any activity after trying to install the symbol files. I'm thinking I must be going wrong somehow with that. However, I do have the symbols installed in my windows folder after my first attempt, there are many other folders inside the symbols folder. But anyhow, this is what I came up with as per you instructions...

My specs as follows:

Dell XPS 420
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz w/3 GB Memory and Dell Bios A07
  17. Archean

The complete debug report looks like this:

So kindly post the complete results.

Note: You need to click on !analyze -v to have details of analysis.
  18. 00pontiac

ok... again I've followed these steps as best I'm able, and still coming up with issues... I figure now would be a good time to remind you how much I really appreciate you trying to walk me thru this mess.

presently I'm getting an error that the debugger can't find the symbols

"Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Future Pinball.exe"

this is a different, but closely related application that's all from the same dev team / developer, there's three apps actually, they all crash in the same spot everytime. I figured I'd try each one to see if maybe they symbols could be found. my broken logic at work I suppose.

the dev of this app is a friend of mine who I've just written to see if he had any idea of where this, or me, is going wrong. hope to hear from him soon.

meanwhile, here's what I'm coming up with now.

btw, my symbol path is not the default one I know, but where they've been stored on my local drive.

19. Archean

20. 00pontiac

I can imagine how that will go...

ty for trying anyhow
  21. Archean

I know what you mean, but the problem is, if a piece of software is doing something which is causing all these issues, they are in best position to help (hopefully).
  22. 00pontiac

ok, and thanks again, I really do appreciate your trying to help me