TechSpot

Neowin's guide to smartphone hardware: Graphics

By Neowin
Feb 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. With such a huge range of smartphone hardware on the market today from vendors such as Samsung, HTC, Apple, Motorola, LG and more, it can be very confusing to keep…

Read the whole story

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,918   +685

So Tegra isn't really that special? Strange, I always thought it was one of the better GPU's? I guess Nvidia has some catching up to do!

3. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 528   +36

Tegra 2 was always more special on paper than it was on actual physical use. It wasn't bad don't get me wrong. From what I understand it was the single channel memory that really limited it's usage, that and no power gating. Tegra 3 has power gating but still uses single channel memory. Still much better than the Tegra 2 and the fact that they added a 5th core for lower power situations really helps it's ordeal. Still people were baffled by why it still uses single channel memory.

The new Krait design by Qualcomm eats up the Tegra 3 in most cases and it's still using an older design of GPU from what I understand, based on the Adreno 220. The new Adreno 225 now uses .28 nm tech and is clocked up to 400 Mhz rather than previous 225 Mhz or so.