Net Background activity reporting PGM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyGuitar

Do you know of a program that will let you know what is active in the background while you are doing something else?

Often, when online, the little activity ball is spinning and I*m wondering, * what the heck is going on behind my back now?*

A program that pops up info at about mid-lower tool tray with info like, *Server delivering Email msgs*, or *MS update*, or *Avast definitions update* or even *resident trojan-bot sending out Emails*, would be very popular.

Let*s hope one would avoid that last one. Program may well exist but in my line I have not heard of anything like it so far.

Do you know of such a program. Answer by comment at my sites Tony
Guitar.blogspot or BendGovernment or Gmail.. Tone.robinson@
TG
<a>https://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon6.gifCool</a>
Cool

Such a program would be an enormous resource hog.. It would have to know about all popular protocols (see windows\system32\drivers\etc\services for a nice list) and perform real-time analysis of the traffic, matching datagrams against the protocol patterns. This is something that only high-end enterprise networking hardware does. And knowing the method an arbitrary program uses to check for updates is just plain impossible.

You can configure your software firewall to alert you every time some program tries to connect to somewhere (and tell it not to alert about common programs like web prowsers) if you are so paranoid. You see the program name and the host/port it tries to connect to.

Sysinternals / Nirsoft..so glad I asked

Thank you guys. This is the kind of thing I was looking for.
Thanks for taking the time. TCP View..Sysinternals...Nirsoft..Guess one only has to ask... very N I C E. TG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back