Netflix gains exclusive rights to stream Disney movies

Scorpus

Staff member

Netflix has signed a deal with Disney in the United States that gives the streaming service the exclusive rights to all new films after they leave the cinemas. Starting in September, the deal will make Netflix the only pay-TV service in the US with access to Disney's most recent theatrical releases.

All films from subsidiaries of Disney – such as Marvel, Lucasfilm (Star Wars), and Pixar – are also included in the deal as expected. Considering the popularity of the films from these studios, gaining exclusive streaming access is a big deal for Netflix.

According to Polygon, Netflix and Disney have agreed to a "pay one deal, which is essentially a one-time deal that lasts for years." The specifics see Netflix gain exclusive access to all Disney films released in 2016 and beyond, while films released before this year will still be available to other networks as part of their existing deals.

Essentially this means films like Captain America, Civil War will be available exclusively through Netflix, while older films in the series like Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be available through other services like HBO.

For all the other content that Netflix will be adding over the summer, the company has released a full list you can view here.

Permalink to story.

I'm not being negative at all this is good for Netflix and their subscribers. The money part I just find more interesting hence the question.

Hmm, I'm wondering how market exclusivity can be considered "something good." It is "good" only if you are Netflix subscriber. If you're not...well, too bad... Narrowing of the market, "forcing" subscription to Netflix to see these movies. I fail to see how this is "good."

Hmm, I'm wondering how market exclusivity can be considered "something good." It is "good" only if you are Netflix subscriber. If you're not...well, too bad... Narrowing of the market, "forcing" subscription to Netflix to see these movies. I fail to see how this is "good."
Market exclusivity is something that any company can negotiate for at this point. Perhaps this deal was spurred by Amazon obtaining exclusive rights to certain BBC series such as Dr. Who. Who knows whether equanimity in distribution would be good or not just as we cannot say whether exclusivity is good or not.

If the deal was spurred by Amazon's BBC deal, then one might say that the push for exclusivity by one market player will inspire others do likewise push for exclusivity. Perhaps one might say that Amazon got greedy, over-estimated their power, and Netflix, through the inspiration of the BBC - Amazon deal, stepped in to humble Amazon - which was really more Netflix probably feeling a need to protect their market from monsters such as Amazon. This deal is a big loss for Amazon, just like Amazon's BBC deal was a big loss for both Netflix and Hulu. The desire to obtain market exclusivity might be called greed, and in Amazon exercising, IMO, even more greed, they lost out elsewhere and perhaps spurred a war between content providers. Perhaps Hulu will come up with an exclusive arrangement with some other content provider.

Unfortunately, this forces consumers to either go to the movies, or get Netflix if they want to see this content, just like Amazon's deal forces consumers who want the exclusive Amazon content to go to Amazon or subscribe to a service that carries BBC America (to see BBC content first-run). For me, I'll wait until Dr. Who comes to our local PBS station - it almost certainly will - rather than subscribe to Amazon again.

For the "phile," though, Netflix has both better sound and better pictures than all the other streaming services. The Netflix Windows 8.1 and beyond app allows the subscriber to receive DD+ audio tracks which are far better than Amazon's current offering (total junk IMO).

Back