TechSpot

Netflix streaming speeds on Comcast increased 65 percent following controversial deal

By Shawn Knight
Apr 15, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Netflix's controversial deal with Comcast is already paying dividends... that is, if you are a Comcast Internet subscriber. According to the latest Netflix ISP speed index, the provider moved up to the fifth overall position in March with an average...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Way to gain cash.... force your customer to shell out a few hundred mill...

3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,905   +529

I always facepalm my self when I hear people from the US talking about their internet...
    here's what real competition does for consumers: Romania - 1Gbps for 18$/m + free unlimited 3G USB Dongle (you can use the SIM in a smartphone too if you want)
    the US is a huge part of the internet. them being behind is dragging the entire world down.

4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

Believe us, we know.

5. mccartercar

mccartercar TS Booster Posts: 134   +25

I say lets treat ISP's like people do the developers, film makers, artists, and producers of digital goods and fund large scale wireless data transmission across a p2p network and never give those greedy bastards another dollar. Nikola Tesla pioneered the way but they(yes, they) stomped him down for wanting to give the "energy"(information) for free and sell the hardware needed to obtain it. It can be done. /rant

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yup. That is why Google Fiber is so huge. Someone is trying to increase speeds and make Comcast, Optimum, and Verizon get off their butts and do something about it.

Puiu, NTAPRO and FPS_Machete_HD like this.
  7. Blkm0nk3y92

Blkm0nk3y92 TS Member Posts: 69

Agreed, to an extent. (I live in the US)

BUT, you might wanna recognize that Romania is one of the top contenders in internet speed. Look at all the other countries around you, and they all have slower internet than the US on average for the most part. It's easy to call out the US on their failures and cons because it's one of the largest and most talked about countries, but don't forget there are plenty of other countries that are just as "technologically advanced" as the US with faults and slow internet speeds.

Not trying to start an argument or even defend the US really, just stating a point. :)

Puiu likes this.