Netflix streaming speeds on Comcast increased 65 percent following controversial deal

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netflix’s controversial deal with Comcast is already paying dividends… that is, if you are a Comcast Internet subscriber. According to the latest Netflix ISP speed index, the provider moved up to the fifth overall position in March with an average speed of 2.50Mbps and is now within .5Mbps of the top spot.

In an accompanying blog post on the matter, Netflix said the latest monthly rankings are a great illustration of how performance can improve when ISPs work to connect directly to Netflix. Under the new agreement, speeds over Comcast’s network in the US shot up 65 percent – up from a lowly 1.51Mbps in January.

netflix comcast streaming

The streaming outfit said they are also seeing early improvements on Telenor-owned ISPs in Denmark, Norway and Sweden after they agreed to directly connect their network with Netflix.

The Netflix ISP speed index is based on data from more than 44 million Netflix members around the globe. Collectively, these users view over a billion hours of TV shows and movies each month. The index’s average speed is an indicator of the performance typically experienced across all users on a particular ISP.

If you recall, Netflix signed a deal with Comcast in February that allowed the streaming service to connect directly with their network in multiple locations instead of having to route traffic through third-party content delivery companies. This added step is the reason that many believe service quality has degraded over time.

Netflix said those on faster networks generally get better picture quality, quicker start times and fewer interruptions during playback.

Permalink to story.

I always facepalm my self when I hear people from the US talking about their internet...
here's what real competition does for consumers: Romania - 1Gbps for 18$/m + free unlimited 3G USB Dongle (you can use the SIM in a smartphone too if you want)
the US is a huge part of the internet. them being behind is dragging the entire world down.

I always facepalm my self when I hear people from the US talking about their internet...
here's what real competition does for consumers: Romania - 1Gbps for 18$/m + free unlimited 3G USB Dongle (you can use the SIM in a smartphone too if you want)
the US is a huge part of the internet. them being behind is dragging the entire world down.
Believe us, we know.

I say lets treat ISP's like people do the developers, film makers, artists, and producers of digital goods and fund large scale wireless data transmission across a p2p network and never give those greedy bastards another dollar. Nikola Tesla pioneered the way but they(yes, they) stomped him down for wanting to give the "energy"(information) for free and sell the hardware needed to obtain it. It can be done. /rant

Yup. That is why Google Fiber is so huge. Someone is trying to increase speeds and make Comcast, Optimum, and Verizon get off their butts and do something about it.

Agreed, to an extent. (I live in the US)

BUT, you might wanna recognize that Romania is one of the top contenders in internet speed. Look at all the other countries around you, and they all have slower internet than the US on average for the most part. It's easy to call out the US on their failures and cons because it's one of the largest and most talked about countries, but don't forget there are plenty of other countries that are just as "technologically advanced" as the US with faults and slow internet speeds.

Not trying to start an argument or even defend the US really, just stating a point. :)

Back