Netgear wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil_ski

Hi all
I just got a Netgear wireless router. Both of my computers can't be on the network at the same time.

Every time one is on the network, and I try to have the other link up with the network, I get a message that says "IP address conflict."

After calling their worthless support line twice, I still am SOL. (20 minute wait to speak with someone by the way. GRRRRRRRRRR)

The old *** computer has the Windows ME operating system. I don't think they know anything about it. They tried to have me enter some instruction in the RUN command, it displayed the IP address, and others in a Windows types window. I wasn't able to change the IP address.
When I tried a run command on my XP computer, it popped up a DOS looking window.

Can anyone help me get this working? Where do I go on the ME machine so I can change the IP address.

Thanks

You can just as well change the IP on the Windows XP computer - you are not allowed to have two devices with the same IP on the same network. Unless you have a reason to do otherwise, you should set all your computers to obtain their IP configuration automatically.

hange the address in the properties of your local area connection (networking in Control Panel).

Nodsu said:
You can just as well change the IP on the Windows XP computer - you are not allowed to have two devices with the same IP on the same network. Unless you have a reason to do otherwise, you should set all your computers to obtain their IP configuration automatically.

hange the address in the properties of your local area connection (networking in Control Panel).

Thanks
So can I just change the address to anything I want? Just change one digit?

Do I have to do anything else or will my XP machine just recognize the available wireless networks when I power it up? I suppose I may have to re-enter my security pass phrase, but is there anything else?

For both machines, the first setup with the CD rom didn't work, so I had to call (sucky) tech support and do it manually.
For being recommended by a big magazine, they sure have a hastily thrown together setup software driver.

The IP address you set should fit with the IP configuration on the rest of the devices (well, if you intend to communicate with them anyway :p ). For home networking this usually means that the first three octets of the IP address should be the same everywhere - you change only the last number.

In order to get a XP computer wireless, you need the drivers for your wifi adapter and the wireless networking service enabled. Windows should pop up a balloon saying that there are wireless networks in range and ask if you want to connect to any of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back