Network Adapter not working on Windows 98 Second Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncl1994

Hi, my brother recently bought a Realtek Wireless Network Adapter to use on an old 98 SE and when straight after it was installed it worked fine but after shutting down the computer it won't work in anything but safe mode.

It just restarts automatically after crashing on boot up. Doesn't get to the desktop.

This network adapter is supposed to work on Windows 98 SE as well. And it is certainly within this old thing's ability to use it. It's actually a pretty good PC, it cost a bomb in it's day!

I tried one of my network adapters and that didn't work either. (Didn't make the PC crash though).

I was wondering if anyone recognises these symptons. Could it be a software conflict? (it's been through a lot of software in it's time. Mostly uninstalled now.)

Thanks, I hope someone can help

Hi

sounds like a bad driver.

its been a while since i used 98 but there was an option to start at a command prompt

type scanreg /sfc and see if it starts up after that.

You may need to start in safe mode and remove the driver and any app that came with the card.

regards

Right, I've done a System File Checker and a ScanReg Registry Clean so I'm going to try and install it again.

p.s. the problem with the other adapter is that I could install the drivers and utility but it would recognise that the adapter was even plugged in. Status: Card unplugged

i once bought a network card for an old gateway laptop, it wouldnt see the card full stop, the card was ok in a new machine though so it wasnt the card, might be your problem if the card isnt being seen.

I reckon that the 98 might just be messed up in need of a full system reset but I don't know how to do that. Do you think that might help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back