Network cable health hazards ? Any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there is any potential health hazard associated with cat6 cables networking on my house.

I plan to put some cable crossing over the doors of my house and would like to know if there is any problem with electromagnetic fields and something like that when passing below those cables for my head.

Maybe this is a silly question but nowadays, there is so much electromagnetic waves on the air we dont know which one are better or not!

Thanks a lot!

you should make a helmet out of alumium foil to sheild from the invso-rays.

Im just kidding. I am not aware of any health hazards from the signal itself. Although i have heard that some cables (cheap) have been made with levels of lead, but other then that i cant think of any.

Hi
The thing that makes cat6 cat6 and not cat5 is shielding. Cat6 is fully shielded by a grounded mylar sheath. This allows one to route it near flourescent light fixtures and other sources of interference without suffering ill effects. Conversely, one will have less signal leakage from cat6. You will get far more electromagnetic radiation from your 60Hz ac lines. Cat6 = yay!

EM is a function of voltage and current. Network wiring is low on both and
are very safe to even touch the bare wires. EM, while existing, is low and only
an issue to the signals within or across the network itself. There's more
EM from the power wires in the home than from the network cabling. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back