Network connection issues (year after year)

cliffordcooley

I have an installation folder on my main machine(Windows 7) with all my software. I have repeatedly run into issues connecting odd devices to my shared folder. This time I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview (on a different machine) and don't understand why it tells me I can't access my own machine. After all these years, you would think user friendly would be a reality. It seems to be a coin toss as to which machines will connect. I hate never knowing I can access my own machine without issue. Here I am trying to install applications but yet I can't get to my storage location.

What is the secret to sharing your machine, so that anyone on the same network can access shared folders?

Edit: I always turn on "Network Discovery" and "File and Print Sharing".

I'm more brutal via the firewall:

set trust localhost and your lan ip's, eg 192.168.0.1/24

then add two rules for only the PRIVATE PROFILE
  1. inbound allow tcp/udp from 192.168.0.1/24 to any for ports 137-139,445
  2. outbound allow tcp/udp from any to 192.168.0.1/24 for ports 137-139,445
I use a much more complicate scheme in reality to enforce known vs unknown devices and to segregate WiFI from wired access, but that's just me.

In services, ensure these are running
  • Bonjour Service ( mDNSResponder)
  • fdPHost
  • Network Connections
  • Network List Service
  • Network Location Awareness

I must admit that Firewall settings are confusing and a bit intimidating. I had a look at Firewall settings and could never rake up the courage to open a port.
  1. There were questions as to which ports and why.
  2. Then there was questions as to why inbound and outbound.
  3. Then questions as to whether only changes on one machine were enough, or if I needed to configure all of them.
  4. But to top it all off, was the long list of exceptions. I could never tell if the rule already existed.
I did finally get access. But for the life of me I don't understand why creating a Homegroup unlocks Workgroup resources, if Homegroup is not wanted. I created a Homegroup (even though I don't care to have it) and was given access to those machines.

So I read you to say, Homegroup was easy and effective for you - - that's fine. Just have multiple platforms and needed a more generic solution :)

Yeah, it seems I can no longer have a Workgroup without including a Homegroup. Until now I have been stubborn and never even wanted to consider using Homegroup. If I knew exactly what Homegroup did to allow Workgroup access, I would do that manually even if it turns out to be Firewall settings. I just don't want to get into opening ports that may or may not be necessary.

Back