Network Drives Map By Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwyllie

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Compaq Presario and sometime during the last month all unused drives letters are becoming mapped to one of my network drives. I remove the mappings but at some point in time they all become mapped again (there is even one mapped to no drive letter, the drive letter shows up as "none" when I go to the disconnect window). I've not been able to find a reason for this. I've run Spybot, Adaware and Avast and found no problems. The only new thing that I put on was System Mechanic 7 and it seems to be after that that is started happening. I've turned off the ActivCare feature thinking this might be causing it but I'm still seeing the drives get re-mapped.

I just noticed that System Mechanic performed a deep scan an hour ago (I've been gone about 5 hours) so perhaps the deep scan is doing it, I will check that and report back. But I did want to post this in case anyone else has seen this and either has a solution or is looking for one.

UPDATE: Defiantly System Mechanic. I will contact the manufacturer for a solution.

I get that on one of our xp pro machines at work. It maps the same network shared drive to all available letters. System mechanic is not installed anywhere in our network.

There may be security issues here! Consider:
File shares(FS) SHOULD have passwords.
XP uses the Guest Account to access FS (Simple File Sharing)

To ensure your FS are accessed ONLY by authorized REAL PEOPLE,
  1. login as Admin
  2. use CP->User Accounts
  3. Change Guest Account
  4. add a password that is UNIQUE to each system
  5. THEN disable the Guest Account
Whenever someone attempts to map the specific FS,
they will be prompted for the specific password.

In my case, its just one errant pc thats doing this. Its authenticated on the domain but the main user of the machine always has problems with her profile. Sometimes it cannot be found and so loads a temp one. Other times its fine. Other times it throws up this mapped drive issue.
Pretty sure its not a security 'threat' ie. someone doing something sinister.
But because its slightly random, its hard to nail down.

Same issue

Hi guys, besides the system mechanic, are there any other reasons that you have come across for this?

I have a Windows XP SP2 Pro machine logging onto a Domain, they have multiple network drives mapped during logon but it is just the 1 network drive that continually re-map's itself to all available drive letters, this doesn't happen during the logon phase it happens at random times.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

look into the domain servier -- that's very typical of a domain login script :)

Hey thanks for the reply,

With the size of this domain and granted no body else is having the issue I am looking for something with this isolated worksation. A collegue of mine indicated this had happened before and they sorted out a fix for it (which involved a registry entry) but can not remember the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back