network puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got in to networking and managed to set up the following network:
1 Pii computer (os win 2000 pro) connected to a cisco 2501 router which is in turn connected to a 2514 through s0 and this is connected to my main computer (XP) through its on board marvell gigabit slot.
I have managed to have full connectivity through pinging each interface and can telnet from either pc to both routers.
Problem is I have no idea on how to have windows see the other computer let alone share files.
please help

Windows File/Print sharing:
1) enable File/Print Sharing (FPS) in your firewall
Windows FW, Advanced Tab->Adv Settings
(other FWs, open ports 139,445 tcp/udp on your LAN IP range)

2) enable Simple File Sharing (default for Home Ed)

3) mark some folder as Shared in r/o or allow changes as you please
right-click the folder->Sharing & Security
HIGHLY suggest you share only folders within
\Documents & Settings\yourprofile
Never share C:\

4) set all systems to be in the same WORKGROUP
(right-click My Computer->properties->Computer Name Tab )

5) from the other system, Map Network drives

jobeard said:
Windows File/Print sharing:
1) enable File/Print Sharing (FPS) in your firewall
Windows FW, Advanced Tab->Adv Settings
(other FWs, open ports 139,445 tcp/udp on your LAN IP range)

Hi joe,
Now when I click on the two a pop up window opens with external port number and internal, so where does the 139 for tcp go (internal or external port)

if you have a cisco router, it may be blocking (or routing) your packets away, so-to-speak. you say you can telnet the router, can you logon to it and "manage" it, do you have the password?

Yes I can telnet into both both routers. I guess my weakness is dealing with windows.Right now I am trying to map the drives but when I put the drive as Z and folder name as \\comp1\share32 on the host comp. it an't find the folder

GryRypa said:
Hi joe,
Now when I click on the two a pop up window opens with external port number and internal, so where does the 139 for tcp go (internal or external port)

allow IN/OUT TCP/UDP source IP {your Lan range} dest IP {the same}
dest ports (139,445}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back