Networking External HD's without connection to a base computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

Hi everyone...

I know this is probably a very ignorant question of me, but i wanted to know if it it at all possible to, for example;

take an External HardDrive (only), and either wired or wireless connect it to a home network such as the one I am running, (Belkin wireless).... The purpose is basically to have a network HD that can be used for multimedia to free up drive space on all networked laptops/pc's.
Are there any purpose built networkable External drives avaliable, or is there a way to get this on a home network efficiently???

(All without having to connect the HardDisk to a computer via USB/Firewire for example too!!!)

Hope im not sounding like to much of an *****, the idea just sprang to mind recently.

Thanks,

Toddy

fantastic fastco, thanks very much, at least theres something in the line. Is it just me or would it be a very valuable addition to a home network especially a multimedia advanced home :p!!!!

thanks, toddy

It's a great idea and I think by using the instructions on the Microsoft page you could do it now with a USB Hard Drive and the D-Link router.

Sounds like what you're really looking for is NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Take a look at this page on Newegg and see if these fall in line with what you're looking for.
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=24

Some devices like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124036 (located on the same page as the first link) will allow you to connect storage you already have to your network. BTW - that device is very easy to modify from everything I've read. You can even create your own services to run on it if you're a bit linux savvy.

hmmm LNCpapa, i think your right, that hub looks like it'd do the job... (wonders how much shipping to uk'll be :confused:!!)
anyway, sounds good to me- and i suppose theoretically that thing'll support twice as much as the largest External HDD will allow seeing as theres 2 USB ports...

thanks!!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back