TechSpot

Networking External HD's without connection to a base computer....

By toddy89
Jul 3, 2006
  1. Hi everyone...

I know this is probably a very ignorant question of me, but i wanted to know if it it at all possible to, for example;

take an External HardDrive (only), and either wired or wireless connect it to a home network such as the one I am running, (Belkin wireless).... The purpose is basically to have a network HD that can be used for multimedia to free up drive space on all networked laptops/pc's.
    Are there any purpose built networkable External drives avaliable, or is there a way to get this on a home network efficiently???

(All without having to connect the HardDisk to a computer via USB/Firewire for example too!!!)

Hope im not sounding like to much of an *****, the idea just sprang to mind recently.

Thanks,

Toddy

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

3. fastco

4. toddy89

toddy89 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

fantastic fastco, thanks very much, at least theres something in the line. Is it just me or would it be a very valuable addition to a home network especially a multimedia advanced home :p!!!!

thanks, toddy

5. fastco

It's a great idea and I think by using the instructions on the Microsoft page you could do it now with a USB Hard Drive and the D-Link router.

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,336   +279

Sounds like what you're really looking for is NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Take a look at this page on Newegg and see if these fall in line with what you're looking for.
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=24

Some devices like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124036 (located on the same page as the first link) will allow you to connect storage you already have to your network. BTW - that device is very easy to modify from everything I've read. You can even create your own services to run on it if you're a bit linux savvy.

7. toddy89

toddy89 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

hmmm LNCpapa, i think your right, that hub looks like it'd do the job... (wonders how much shipping to uk'll be :confused:!!)
    anyway, sounds good to me- and i suppose theoretically that thing'll support twice as much as the largest External HDD will allow seeing as theres 2 USB ports...

thanks!!!

:)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.