Networking Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

New here to the forum, and I have a recent issue regarding one of the computers on my network (home).
I will try to make it as short as possible.
I have two PC's running XP, A Linksys WRT54g Router, a PS3 and a Roku Soundbridge(media streamer) on my network.
Suddenly I noticed that the PS3 and the Roku(SB) no longer "see" computer#2,
but computer#2 "see's" both of these devices.
I can see computer#2 on computer #1 and vise versa.
On computer#2, I can successfully ping every computer/device on the network. Computer #2 shows on Linksys Easylink Advisor as connected.
I can print from computer#2 across the network.(printer is hooked to computer#1).
I made sure File sharing is "on" and checked windows firewall to make sure the required ports are open. Also made sure that "windows media player network sharing service" is running. I have tried to reset the Roku and PS3 with no luck.
What have I not tried yet?
Sorry if this is confusing and/or any of my terminology is incorrect, but I am frustrated with this issue.
Thanks in advance!

I have completed the guide as you posted.
What I have found is that it has got to be something related to windows media player itself.
Just out of curiosity, I installed Tversity on Computer #2, and it(tveristy) shows up on both PS3 and the Roku. Media Player still does not. I have tried re-intalling media player, no luck. I also deleted contents of the DRM folder, thinking it was drm related. Still no luck.

One thing i don't think i;ve seen mentioned is are some wired/some wireless/which ones?
For that matter, if at all possible (and since the WRTG has 4 wired ports) you should start your testing with everything (or at least as much as possible) wired. That helps rule out alot of variables with wireless at least till the wired side is working fine.

Do you use Windows Firewall or a 3rd party product on your two computers? If you have a 3rd party product make certain that Windows Firewall is actually turned off! (Else you have two firewalls running!) Control Panel->Windows Firewall and check the OFF buttton.

I believe you also want each device network mask to be identical (so check) unless you have a good reason otherwise) (typically 255.255.255.0)

And this can be a handy tool LookAtLan for watching status of network devices (which must be pingable to be seen)

Will see if can't follow up sometime later w/more info

You wrote that "suddenly" computer #2 stopped being seen by the others. Did you install or change something on computer #2 around that time? Sounds to me that eitehr you installed something that affected the firewall or filesharing, or you accidentally did it yourself.

Sine this type of network setup is simply, I'd just do it from scratch again. Run the Network Setup Wizard and network all the computers again.

Repost with results.

-- Andy

All is wired with the exception of the Roku, which is the only wireless device on the network.
I am only using windows firewall, no 3rd party.
All network masks are the same.
I cannot be sure, but the only thing I think was downloaded recently was SP3, which was automaticly downloaded to my computers via auto updates(which I later find out should not be installed on computers with AMD chips, which both my computers have, thanks Microsoft!!) Again, I am not really sure when this update was downloaded and the problems began.
Obviously, computer #2 can be seen by the other devices since I downloaded TVersity and it works. Thats what leads me to believe it is something to do with WMP11. I checked every setting in WMP on computer#1 and made sure they were the same and not changed on computer #2. Windows media player sharing service is started and running, I even tried stopping and restarting the service to see if that would help.
I hate these kinds of issues, everything works one day, and the next.....?

1. Don't worry about SP3. The SP3/AMD issue applied to SP3 and HP computers using AMD when SP3 was first released. It was actually traced back to an HP Issue in the way HP built and released their OEM version of XP). It was fixed back in July so by now any patches are in SP3. (Besides, you wouldn't be booting or running very long if same problem was there)

2. One thing to try: Disconnect from your ISP (e.g. pull the cable out). Then turn off all firewalls AND power down EVERY machine. May as well reset the router in the process. Now just bring computer2 up with one other device. Do they "see" each other? then bring up ohters one at a time. (after test you can turn firewall back on/reconnect ISP)

3. Could you indicate the model of SP3 and Roku. "Being seen" might depend on how they want to communicate to see/be seen. I can take a look in documentation to double check

LookinAround,

Just wanted to give you an update, I think my issue is solved.
I was searching franticly when I came across a microsoft forum that said to type this "regsvr32 upnphost.dll" into the Run box. I did, and presto, everything is working now!
Not sure what this does or what caused me to have these issues when everything was working before, but I'm just glad it was that easy.
Thank you for all the help!

hmm; upnphost.dll?

The UPnP service is not only unnecessary, but adds a security exposure to your system.
You can safely disable UPnP by
right-click My Computer->manage
expand Services and Applications
click Services
near the bottom, find Universal Plug and Play Device Host
dbl-click
set startup type to Manual
click Stop button
click ok​

hmm; upnphost.dll?

The UPnP service is not only unnecessary, but adds a security exposure to your system.
You can safely disable UPnP by
right-click My Computer->manage
expand Services and Applications
click Services
near the bottom, find Universal Plug and Play Device Host
dbl-click
set startup type to Manual
click Stop button
click ok​

If UPnP is unnecessary and I disable it, Then how will my devices connect(Ie Roku Sound bridge and PS3)

My router is connected via ethernet not USB.

Take note: UPnP is NOT PnP. UPnP is for connectivity on networks via TCP/IP to devices, such as scanners or printers.

But if I "stop" and disable the UPnP service, it also stops my Windows media player network sharing service as well. I want to be able to stream my music from both of my PC's to my Roku and my PS3. Is there a "safer" way to accomplish this?

Well jobeard, did say: "set startup type to Manual"
If one of your devices\programs stops working, I would say, put it back to "Automatic"

Trouble with D-link dsl-2640t

hi guys, i need help with my dsl-2640t router. previously everything was all ay ok & well connected. all of sudden there was a problem with my ISP connection, then the problem start.

after my ISP have fix their end problem. my router unable to let any wireless connection connec to it.

wireless Error MSG : limited or no connection.

this error goes to all 3 unit of my desktop and 6 unit of my laptop.

it can be connected wired wise & it is connected to the internet. i've crack my head trying to reconfigure this damn d-link router.

im previously i had linksys wrt54g and later had used linksys wrn300. thought it was so easy to fix any sort of issue. i find out that the d-link router's take rocket engineer to configure it.

please do help coz i cant do work at home now after work & i have to stay late just to get work done.

Ok, I set UPnP and SSDP Discovery services to Manual. They are both in "Started" status when I reboot my computer. I guess UPnP and SSDP are both Necessary in my situation.
Safe or not, if I want to stream music I have no choice, as both media devices on my network require Windows Media player network sharing to be running. I do have UPnP disabled on my router itself.

Yes. as am now recalling Windows Media Player requires uPnP. I didn't get to looking at PS3 or Roku documentation but they obviously use it (don't know if any alternatives) as well.

I would guess if your router blocks uPnP (and you might set your firewalls as well to only accept uPnP from LAN addresses) should be ok. Curioius as to other opinion with respect to router and firewall restrictions (just out of curiousity... you should configure your network as you feel best meets your need)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back