Networking Two Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two desktops and a Netgear Router which I have setup to access the internet simultaneously. So I have a good connection and the router works quite well.

I now want to setup the two desktop to share files and synchronise each other but I do not know how to go about this.

Please can anyone suggest a step by step procedure on how to do this. One of the desktop is Windows XP while the other is Windows 2000.

All you need to do is set both PCs in the same workgroup and then turn on file sharing for a couple folders in each.
RClick on My Computer/properties/Computer name tab/change button. At the bottom is the workgroup name window. Just put something like: Homenet or whatever in BOTH pc's. The name must be exactly the same in both.
Now in both PC's make a new folder and set it's properties to share. Or set any existing folder to share. To share a folder/r click on it/ properties/share tab. Select share this folder.

You're done.

Im also connected by network to another computer at home. How do I kno what the files are that are being shared? When I go to network places are those where the shared files are? Are there any hidden one? So any files someone asks in properties to be shared by network are shared? Now I think I might be being monitored :0

If you're running XP or 2000, then you can right click on the "My computer" icon, select manage. Now in the computer Management window you should see "shared folders". This will list all shared folders on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back