TechSpot

Never used a Mac before.

By Skutty
Dec 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Techspot,
    Someone was giving away a free eMac, it's running OS X and the harddrive is loaded out, but when I try and run the install disc to reformat, it wants the password of the previous owner, which I do not know. Never used a Mac before, so, where do I go from here?
  2. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Try rebooting the machine and holding down "c" on the keyboard with the restore disc in the drive (or I believe you could hold down option, then choose to boot off cd). If that gets you to the installer menu, then you should be able to to a clean install from there. Also, if you can boot from the disc that way, you could reset the password on the machine, as shown here under "Resetting the original administrator account password."

3. Skutty

Skutty TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

That did the trick, thanks.
    Only problem now is I don't know what to do with .dmg files.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,525   +300

You double click them, and then they 'mount' as a drive. dmg is really just a disk image. Since dmgs usually contain applications, once the dmg is mounted you just drag the program to the Applications directory and then its installed, very simple and elegant. To uninstall you just drag the app to the trash.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.