Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a problem with my computer... first, here is my pc:

AMD Phenom x4 9600 Processor
FOXCONN A7VML-K mobo
2X2GB A-DATA VITESTA Extreme 1066
NVIDIA ECS 9600GT 512MB

The ram is new.. i used to have 1x2GB Kingston @667Mhz and everything worked fine.
When I changed the RAM, i started getting random blue screens and crashes.
Windows only detects 3.25GB of RAM. But i already read why that happens.

I tried removing 1 stick of RAM and i haven't got any blue screens but games just randomly crash.
I don't know if there is any other info i should provide.
Can anyone help me with this?

thanks

Download the Memtest ISO, burn it to a disc, boot from it and allow it to run overnight - completing multiple passes. If you get ANY errors (even 1) replace that RAM.

Some boards seem to give trouble when all four GBs of memory are installed. If yours turns out to be one of these, the best possible combination of DIMMs is 2 1GB and 2 512MB, obviously 1 of each in each channel.

Much 1066Mhz RAM doesn't seem to run correctly at the generic specification of 1.8V for DDR2. So you could check that value in BIOS vs the manufacturer's voltage spec. (of the modules, obviously).

This is not to exclude a thorough testing of the new memory with Memtest, but a couple of things to verify before you begin.

Might need to give that RAM some extra voltage. It probably won't run at 1066 MHz on just 1.8v. It might not run at all on 1.8v.

Hi, thanks for the replies.
I did the memtest overnight and got no errors, it completed about 4 passes and a half..

As for the voltage suggestion,
I have a different problem, but i now think they might be related.

A few days ago i tried updating the BIOS, but it failed.. and i had to do a BIOS recovery.
2 things happened after that.

1. My integrated network card died. (i bought a new one)
2. BIOS can't save my settings. (so i cant adjust voltage)

Every time i start the computer it says, CMOS Checksum Bad.
If i enter the setup and move the settings, when i save the settings the computer just restarts.
The only way to continue to windows is by loading the "default values".

I read online this could be the battery, but i don't think it makes sense since it was working just fine before the bad BIOS flash. Also the mobo is less than 1 year old.

any help with this? what could this be?
---------------------------------------------------------

i checked the RAM's vendor site and yes, it says the voltage should be 2.1 to 2.3 and i'm currently at 1.8
Now my problem is the BIOS, that won't save my settings.

VooDoo....Spirit Worship..., and BIOS Flashing......

Having assassinated a motherboard of my own, with a BIOS "update", I sympathize deeply with your situation. It's not going to prevent the lecture however.

The system battery could be read with a digital voltmeter, it gives you the working voltage right on it. Take it out and check it. This would accomplish two things. The battery check and resetting of the CMOS would occur simultaneously, this going back to the failsafe defaults. Read the mobo manual (twice at least), before you charge into this.

If you did trash the BIOS, there is not much to do but attempt reflashing it back to the earlier version.

Some, (mostly older), boards have removable BIOS chips, and you could try googling "BIOSman". If he's still around, AND, if the chip is removable, he might be able to help as a last resort.

dang it..
ok so... i already tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper.. i already read the manual, and it doesnt say much except the jumper thingie..

The BIOS chip is not removable.
So.. assuming the battery is A-OK, does this mean i will need a new motherboard??

(i havent checked the battery)

In Award BIOS(es), there is a "load failsafe defaults" setting. Check that, try that. Any "bad checksum" error however, means that there is a mistake in coding.

As to the board, yes if you can't revert the BIOS to the earlier version successfully .
And yes, of course you should check the battery. I doubt that's the problem though. Meh, who knows.

My bios is AMI (American Megatrends).
I think there isn'´t a failsafe defaults on it.. i've been searching for something like that...

i will check the battery. and it if it's ok, i guess im gonna have to spend some more money on a stinking new mobo..
dang!
Thanks for the replies, i appreciate your help.

dang it..
ok so... i already tried resetting the CMOS with the jumper.. i already read the manual, and it doesnt say much except the jumper thingie..

The BIOS chip is not removable.
So.. assuming the battery is A-OK, does this mean i will need a new motherboard??

(i havent checked the battery)
I would doubt it was the battery, but worth a shot
some mothrboards have a year warrenty, if you still got the box it came in (unless you bought a PC) have a look.

If not buy a new one, you can get good ones for less that $80 (£50)

Two things.. Foxconn.. No great loss. You can buy a better mainboard that has the BIOS recovery option (for instance, Asus).

Second, the RAM is crummy. I would send it back and exchange it for a better quality kit. Crucial, Micron, Patriot, Corsair, OCZ, etc.

I was lucky. My system crashed in the middle of updating the BIOS in Windows ( Don't say it guys, I know better). I was lucky in that my chip (which was ruined by the bad flash), was removable and ABIT repair guys sent me a new chip free. Other than that option, check with some repair places to see if anyone can reflash the chip program. Probably cost you $25US or so, but if you can't afford a new board it may be an option. If you do need a new mobo, hopefully it's not proprietary (From a branded system with special connector config), and you can get something better than the Foxconn.

http://www.biosman.com/

Thanks for the suggestions guys..
I'm thinking im gonna get an ECS motherboard..
Is this a good choice?

My video card is ECS and iv'e been pretty happy with it, i dont want to make the mistake of buying a no-good mobo again, that's why im asking.

This is the model im planning to buy..
ECS GF8200A
i just thought i'd get an opinion.

thanks

NO! ECS boards are for the most part best for work stations. A nice stable but low performance board. With mobo limitations on user initiated changes like OC'ing. At least try to get one with PCI Express 2.0 x16. instead of the original PCI Express x16. What kind of budget are you working with?

ECS is as bad, if not worse... Grab an Asus M3N78-CM or M3N78-VM. Both good boards, both "Corporate Stable" 1 year advance replacment warranty and both at very competitive pricing.

right.. well.. 2 things
#1 im thinking a budget of around 120USD (of course, mobos are more expensive over here)
#2 im in mexico, and not all mobos are easily available.. i usually have a limited range of mobos to choose from.

this is the best i could find within my budget, sort of..
M3a AM2/1066/DDR2 MBT -MB061
------------------------------

by the way, i checked the battery on my current mobo, and it's ok.. so yeah.. the bios is dead i believe..

Those boards *should* easily fall into that price range. I sell the M3N78-VM less than that, which is the more expensive model of the two.

Unfortunately I'm in no way able to comment on availability in Mexico. :|

The board you mention, the M3A, I haven't tried yet.

adweston:
I wanted to send you a PM but i need to have 15 posts, which i dont..
could you send me a PM with your e-mail or someway i can contact you directly?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back