TechSpot

New build just shuts down after a couple minutes

By ks1
Mar 3, 2006
  1. Hi everyone, my problem is that my newly built computer wont stay on long enough to install windows, the farthest i have gotten is the first time it started, I got to formatting the hard drive and it got to about 7 percent before shutting down. After that it just shuts off randomly after a minute or two. The weird thing is, is that while i am in bios it will stay on indefinitely, that is, if the computer doesent turn off before that. I have already reseated my processor, i took it out cleaned it and heatsink with iso alcohol and applied artic silver 5. I would really appreciate any help. My specs are:

cm stacker stc-to1
    coolmax 650w
    amd athlon 4000+
    evga 7800gtx
    asus a8n32-sli deluxe
    2 gigs corsair xms
    western digital 250gb sata
    creative soundblaster x-fi platinum
    two vantec fans and about 4 others

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

Did you put your sata on RAID? Put your SATA in SATA1 and try again.
    Take 1 stick of memory out and try again, do same to sound card.

3. ks1

ks1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

tried your suggestions...and nothing helps

My hard drive cable is on sata 1. I tried removing the sound card and that doesent change anything. I tried removing the memory and trying them seperately and that changes nothing, the system still shuts down after 5-20 minutes. Any other ideas? I dont think the motherboard is bad but i have heard that can be the problem. I have also heard that a bad power supply, or an overheating computer can cause these random shutdowns. I think it is just a matter of correctly setting up the bios and I was wondering if anyone with an asus a8n32-sli deluxe motherboard is having these types of problems. Any help would be appreciated I really would like to use my new computer soon. Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.