New Build Locking up During Windows XP Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed, thx.

Hello Everyone, Thanks for taking time to help me out.

This is a new build for a church multimedia booth and is booting fine making it into windows setup and then locking up... no beeps... everything stays on the screen as it was when it locks up... the temps are fine 19-21C CPU and room temp or slightly above on the system.

specs:
Foxconn K8S755A-6EKRS Socket 754 SiS 755 ATX AMD Motherboard
Rosewill 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel
EVGA 256-A8-N330-LX GeForce 6600LE 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE
Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3200826AS 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
APEVIA X-Dreamer ATXB3KLW-BK/420W Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.4GHz Socket 754 Processor Model ADA3400AIK4BO
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

It runs great until it decides to lock up... I'm installing XP and you can tell when it locks up by the little status boxes in the bottom right... When it does lock up you can tell it, b/c you can hear the pc "calm down".... But as I said before temps are way low with the multiple fans on the case and the Thermaltake Blue Orb on the CPU with Artic Silver 5 (the proper amount) between them. Also per another person, we actually changed to the Foxconn motherboard (in it presently) from a BIOSTAR NF325-A7 Socket 754 motherboard thinking that was the problem... but same problem with both boards. Oh and I ran memtest86 with the original mb and no errors,

Any ideas? thanks in advance.

Test it with one stick of RAM. Rosewill RAM is just bagged memory from other companies. If it locks up with that stick test with the other.

If that doesn't work change the power supply. I'm of APEVIA PSUs I have one. Change to a higher wattage PSU though. Like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148027

It has dual 12V rails. 2 Cooling fnas. Is 500W (not a big deal). And well its cheap, me and my friends are loyal to the PSU because of its great price and reiliablity in PCs like yours.

Another option would be to install another windows os and just upgrade to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back