New build, need advice

[FONT=verdana]Budget: Approximately $1200[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Location: BC, Canada[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Main Purpose: gaming, HD Video editing[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Multitasking: A lot[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Games: MMO Gaming[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Resolution: 2x 22-25 inch HD screen (looking for suggestions, $100-150)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Overclocking: Want ability too. Not regularly[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Peripherals: Razer blackwidow keyboard, razer deathadder mouse.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Recycled parts: Windows 7 Home 64 bit[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Build idea so far:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Intel Core I7 3770[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]16 GB worth of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]GeForce GTX 570[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]128 GB Samsung SSD 830 Series[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]1TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Asus DVD drive ($20)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Corsair TX650 v2[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Cooler master Hyper 212 Plus[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]Apevia X-TRP-BL X-Trooper Mid[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Advice for improvements and whether or not the build will work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Overclocking: Want ability too. Not regularly[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Intel Core I7 3770[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3[/FONT]
Thats a nice build. :)

The Z68 is a 2nd Gen board and the CPU is 3rd Gen processor. You may want to purchase a 3rd Gen board.

• 2nd Gen chipsets: H61, H67, P67,Q67, and Z68
  • 3rd Gen chipsets: B75, H77, Q77, Z75, and Z77
If you plan on any over-clocking you may want the K version of the i7-3770. The K versions are unlocked and allow much easier overclocking. Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz

Ivy Bridge Chipsets
All Ivy Bridge chipsets and motherboards support both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs. Ivy Bridge based processors will officially support up to DDR3-1600, up from DDR3-1333 of Sandy Bridge. Consumer Ivy Bridge chipsets will also allow overclocking of K-series processors.

Thanks. From your advice and others on other forums, I am now looking at this system:

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]Intel Core I7 3770 ($315)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial]GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] ($150)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]16 GB worth of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series ($100)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial]Radeon HD 7850[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] ($250)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial]64 GB Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] ($80)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]1TB SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ($110)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]Asus DVD drive ($20)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]Corsair TX650 v2 ($90)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]Cooler master Hyper 212 Plus ($30)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]Apevia X-TRP-BL X-Trooper Mid ($80)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]Can you see anything wrong with it?[/FONT][/FONT]

Do you not want the i7-3770K?

The i7-3770K is the unlocked version of the i7-3770. The unlocked multiplier allows for easy over-clocking.

The only reason I'm asking, you mentioned something about potentially over-clocking.

I don't see anything wrong with any of your choices above. :)

As far as the PowerColor name brand, I have no opinion good or bad.

I have a PowerColor HD6870 and have been impressed with it so far. That said, I also got my brother one at the same time (about 3-4 months ago now) for his i7 system and his recently failed and needed to be replaced under warranty. Its hard to say if this was just a one off or not, but I've had GPUs from this manufacturer before and never experienced any problems with them. I'm happy to recommend them to friends and family having owned them in the past.

The only point I'd make with the revised system is you might want to consider going for a 120GB Crucial M4 SSD. Windows 7 will be fine on a 64GB SSD, but it does push things to the limit if you have a lot of software as well. For example, I currently use a 64GB Kingston SSD, and my Windows folder is using up 23.4GB (Win 7 Pro x64). Overall, with crap loads of apps installed (inc Office 2007, Adobe CS5 Photoshop, InDesign, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, LightRoom) I have around 11GB left on the SSD. That said, all of my personal files (and the entire home folder) are linked to respective folders on one of my 2TB disks, so absolutely no personal files/downloads/whatever reside on the SSD, to save space.

Regarding the cooler. If you don't plan to overclock for now, the OEM cooler is perfectly good at keeping temperatures in check. I'd be looking at something considerably more substantial if I was going to overclock a system like yours. Something like a Noctua NH-D14, or NH-C14, or Thermaltake Silver Arrow, or water cooling (either custom or) Corsair H80/H100 (assuming you have space for the H100's twin 120mm radiator). Opinions will vary on what's preferred, but my personal preference is either a Noctua, or the Corsair H100, assuming you have the space.

Looks a decent build. I'd go back to your original choice of the 128GB Samsung 830, you'll find you will run out of space quite quickly on a 64GB drive. Also the 128GB 830 is quite a bit quicker than the 64GB m4.

As far as the PowerColor name brand, I have no opinion good or bad.
Powercolor are very good, they've been making AMD cards for ages and have a good reputation.

By my understandig u want 2 monitor in eyefinity( if im wrong plz im sorry), I dont thing the 7850 can run 2 monitor in eyefinity with max settings and above 60fps.

I've bought a few graphic cards from Powercolor including my last three AMD/ATI cards, a 4890, 5870 and 6970. No complaints at all.

Back